• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tall guy needs best replacement seat for 1987 ranger std/sb bucket seat fit

corerftech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I’m 6-2 and the truck is an automatic so knee clearance not an issue so far for a clutch pedal. I have started (started is used with hesitation) a V8 swap found in my introduction thread. I have examined the interior for function, leaks, etc and have a 1997 explorer 2wd donor at hand. Currently a bench seat- blue interior blue truck. Keeping everything as is (patina/aging:dash cracks, etc!) but really need French carpet/headliner/steering wheel and I think it best, to replace seats with buckets. I prefer a bench but at $250 for a vinyl/woven upholstery kit, well that’s expensive for the project. But the cig holes and crap stains as typical of a truck like this, wife needs some comfort at 140mph.....LOL.
Without tearing into things...manual explorer buckets (grey unfortunately)—— can they be retrofitted? I read the seat swap sticky- it’s too comprehensive with hardware instruction. Not worried about mechanical, I’ll fab it, but actual space in cab???? That’s the concern. I can get dollars back on the seats by selling as they are minty in explorer so cannabalizing good parts just to check

wasteful- trying to tap experience base for a GO/NO GO.

97 exped 2wd, manual buckets into 87 std cab/SB ranger—— space consideration—-GO/NO GO??

mince engine pull day begins ill start a chronology in SWAP forum of the conversion.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
If you got some time and a junkyard nearby, maybe grab a tape measure and socket set and go hunting for one you like. Measure your cab before you go. A welding shop or savvy body shop should have no problem making you custom seat brackets for cheap, if everything else is there.
I would charge $50 bucks and a 12 pack to whip up some brackets...
A local shop did my headliner for $80 bucks. I was quoted not much more than that for the seat, if I used the cheapest material.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
If you prefer the bench... I would just do the bench... and you already have it. I think it would fit the overall direction you want to go anyway. Shop it around your local shops and see whats what.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
On a regular cab you have to watch out for seat back height and thickness if you are tall
Having the seat slid back all the way and having the back of the seat at a comfortable angle is paramount, lol

As seat back gets taller the back angle goes forward
And of course if back is thicker..............

In a 1987 the seats unbolt from the frame mounts, so there are many options you can do without raising the height of the new seat to match new seats rails to current frame rails

This article shows using flat bar to put new seat on old mount: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/ford-ranger-seat-swap/

Since you have a regular cab its probably not an issue, but with extend cabs its nice to have seats that have the backs that can be folded forward to access gear behind the seats
4 door vehicles, like explorers, don't have seat backs that do that

Last edited:

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Some of the early Foxbody seats look pretty sweet in a 1st gen Ranger if you remove the headrest. As far as mounts, I'm sure they'll have to be fabricated.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Push come to shove I don't think anything will match a plain ol' bench for room.

I tried Explorer buckets in my '85, they pretty much sucked for room. Eddie Bauer BII seats were a little better.

Pretty much decided unless I sneak up on a split bench or factory first gen std cab buckets I am going to keep the bench.

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I’m 6-2 and the truck is an automatic so knee clearance not an issue so far for a clutch pedal. I have started (started is used with hesitation) a V8 swap found in my introduction thread. I have examined the interior for function, leaks, etc and have a 1997 explorer 2wd donor at hand. Currently a bench seat- blue interior blue truck. Keeping everything as is (patina/aging:dash cracks, etc!) but really need French carpet/headliner/steering wheel and I think it best, to replace seats with buckets. I prefer a bench but at $250 for a vinyl/woven upholstery kit, well that’s expensive for the project. But the cig holes and crap stains as typical of a truck like this, wife needs some comfort at 140mph.....LOL.
Without tearing into things...manual explorer buckets (grey unfortunately)—— can they be retrofitted? I read the seat swap sticky- it’s too comprehensive with hardware instruction. Not worried about mechanical, I’ll fab it, but actual space in cab???? That’s the concern. I can get dollars back on the seats by selling as they are minty in explorer so cannabalizing good parts just to check

97 exped 2wd, manual buckets into 87 std cab/SB ranger—— space consideration—-GO/NO GO??

mince engine pull day begins ill start a chronology in SWAP forum of the conversion.

I have 2 grandsons 6-2 and 6-4. I have changed the one over to a 1993 2 Door Explorer seat . It will retract forward just like the Bronco 11. I at 5-10 can't shove the clutch down. He loves it. Now , the seat tracks are NOT a direct fit. The rear however will bolt down. Remove the seat , bolt tracks down and make brackets to mount the front. I can send pictures of the brackets we made. The Explorer seat tracks are a lot thicker than the Bronco and Ranger. No problem welding to them. You could just drill the bracket out to match the track and bolt them to it. Hope this helps. I have been told that the later 90's are the same too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals