• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Taking block to machine shop, need opinions on Ford B Cam

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I am taking my '87 block into the machine shop either late this week, or next Monday.

I am looking at getting a Ford Racing B cam. It states that is has good low end power and high horsepower after 4,000RPM. Does anyone know the actual RPM range for this cam? Any opinions on how well it performs?

What I do know is that I will have GT40 (not P) heads, 1.6:1 roller rockers, 600CFM carb., forged pistons and rods (if I get bored with it and want to NOS it later on).

Thanks,
Pete

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
I am taking my '87 block into the machine shop either late this week, or next Monday.

I am looking at getting a Ford Racing B cam. It states that is has good low end power and high horsepower after 4,000RPM. Does anyone know the actual RPM range for this cam? Any opinions on how well it performs?

What I do know is that I will have GT40 (not P) heads, 1.6:1 roller rockers, 600CFM carb., forged pistons and rods (if I get bored with it and want to NOS it later on).

Thanks,
Pete
i put one in my friends 87 gt mustang, only problem we had is that he had to convert to mass air because he car used speed density and that wont work with that cam, but one that was settled it had a ton of torque and hp, it idles really lumpy tho, personally i love the sound but some people say stupid shit to him for it.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I've run the B cam in two builds. First was a stock 5.0 short block (actually used the same short block for both builds) with ported E7 heads, Ford A321 intake (this is the old Edelbrock F4B) 1.7 Cobra rockers (improves the lift to .510) Holley 650 DP carb. Great sounding idle, good bottom end power, pulled to 6500. Later I replaced the top end with a set of Canfield heads (AFR 165 equivalents) 1.7 Comp roller rockers, Vic Jr. intake, topped with the same Holley 650 carb. Power didn't come on till 3 grand, but pulled to 7500. The shift in the power band was all due to the Vic Jr. If I did it over again, I'd use a high rise dual plane on it for the street. The Vic would be the ticket with a stronger block and bottom end on the strip. The B cam is a great bang for the buck, you can pick up good, little used ones for less than $100. Love that idle lope too.:icon_thumby:

Last edited:

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey Pete, I only live about 30 minutes from Ft. Wayne if you would like a hand doing your swap. Just let me know i would be happy to help. Brian

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hey Pete, I only live about 30 minutes from Ft. Wayne if you would like a hand doing your swap. Just let me know i would be happy to help. Brian
LOL, I will more than likely take you up on that offer.

Still have a long way to go though, right now just getting parts together. Ordering the B cam today so I can get the machine work done to know which bearings I will need, get cam installed, and block checked out/cleaned up.

First thing I want is to at least get the short block assembled, then I still need most of the top end (heads mainly) and a transmission. Mills junk yard is supposed to be keeping an eye out for a W/C T5 for me, but I haven't heard anything yet. =/

Pete

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Maybe by then i can have mine completed and drive it up there.

stranger

Reaction score
not a fan of alphabet cams but if they are installing it ask them to degree it to 110-112*
icl

what heads? a tfs stg 2 might be hotter

1989GT

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I ran the B cam in my old fox body mustang. Had P heads, 1.7 roller rockers and cobra intake. Car ran good, nice sounding idle, good low end torque and it pulled to redline. Car ran mid 12's at 108-109 with 1.8 short times(~3300 lbs w driver). Definetly could have run faster with some suspension work and slicks.

not a fan of alphabet cams but if they are installing it ask them to degree it to 110-112*
icl
Not sure why you'd want to retard the cam 3-5 degrees.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the input everyone. Sounds like I should be happy with it given that I get the right combo of parts. Should be here Thursday at the latest. :D

Pete

stranger

Reaction score
thats why i asked heads?poor flow of stock heads will not care.aftermarketheads will experience poorer low end and vac with a 107 icl

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
thats why i asked heads?poor flow of stock heads will not care.aftermarketheads will experience poorer low end and vac with a 107 icl
Oh, I stated at the top that I would be using GT40 (not Ps). E6SE heads came on the stock engine, those definitely have to go.

Pete

1989GT

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Low end performance and manifold vacuum has more to do with duration, valve timing and overlap than it does intake lobe center line. Obviously cam builders work within certain limits, but you can't just assume because a cam has an intake lobe center line of 107* that it will have poor low end and mainfold vacuum at idle. Also retarding the b303 cam 3-5 degrees will move the powerband up a few hundred RPM causing you to lose bottom end.

stranger

Reaction score
not in my experience.b cam,good flowing heads,intake valve opens early,valve closes early,band is right for 4000+ rpm. retarding this cam on a 300 ci" motor raises vac gives better vac signal for secondarys @3000.i have seen this on a couple of combos.just my experience.
you cannot claim advancing or retarding will move band on all combos of motors or cams.in the same direction.
105-08 icl would be perfect for a 351 with longer stroke.

1989GT

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
you cannot claim advancing or retarding will move band on all combos of motors or cams.in the same direction.
Go back and read the post again, I never claimed this.
105-08 icl would be perfect for a 351 with longer stroke.
See the problem with this is that intake lobe center line has little to do with the performance of a cam.

stranger

Reaction score
lca has more to do with performance than lift.thats why you degree it for best results.lobe profile is where most power is made.but given the old style ramprates of the b lobes.
degree it for arround a 110112 icl for a 300" motor.lobe to piston relationship is of utmost importance

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals