• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

T5 transmission

EvanCole45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger GT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hey guys, my drivetrain is very tired and it’s inevitable that I will need to swap it out in the next year or two. While doing this I will probably swap the T5 transmission in whether it’s behind a turbo coupe motor or a 302.
My Truck is a 1988 Ranger GT with the M5odr1 manual and the 2.9.
I was wondering if someone could give me the details on doing the transmission swap to a T5.
What year and vehicle should I get the transmission from for the best shifter placement? (I wouldn’t mind if the shifter sat 2-4 inches behind where it sits with the M5)
What needs to happen to hook up the clutch?
How would I hook up the speedometer?
Will I need a transmission wiring harness?
What crossmember do I use?
And anything else I missed
Also what would be the best way to buy one of these transmissions? The junk yards where I live are seriously picked through.

thanks!

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
Same person answered the clutxh master cylinder question I also askedhttps://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/what-to-use-for-a-clutch-master-cylinder-for-a-t5-manual.183664/

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
Hope some of this info helps a tad

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, my drivetrain is very tired and it’s inevitable that I will need to swap it out in the next year or two. While doing this I will probably swap the T5 transmission in whether it’s behind a turbo coupe motor or a 302.
My Truck is a 1988 Ranger GT with the M5odr1 manual and the 2.9.
I was wondering if someone could give me the details on doing the transmission swap to a T5.
What year and vehicle should I get the transmission from for the best shifter placement? (I wouldn’t mind if the shifter sat 2-4 inches behind where it sits with the M5)
What needs to happen to hook up the clutch?
How would I hook up the speedometer?
Will I need a transmission wiring harness?
What crossmember do I use?
And anything else I missed
Also what would be the best way to buy one of these transmissions? The junk yards where I live are seriously picked through.

thanks!
I can't answer all as I tend to stick to '98-01 Rangers; but I can address a couple:

The "best" T5s come out of V-8 Mustangs; they're ones with 2.95:1 gears and "World Class" components. Unfortunately, they move the shifter a long ways back - (like against the "40" cushion in '98 with 60/40 seats.
The late 80s/early 90s S-10s rear housing will put the shifter just a little behind the stock position (exact location dependent on exact combination of engine mounts, bell housing, etc). The tailshaft from S-10 will just bolt on (you need to watch endplay, etc of course).
SVTCARDs has basically answered the clutch.
My speedo came off the rear axle, so I didn't need to worry about that.
I modified my existing M5ODR1 wiring harness to connect to the T5 (I think just different end connectors).
Again answered by SVTCARDs.

My T5 came out of a '02 3.8 V-6 Mustang, 3.35 1st, the S-10 tail housing is the most challenging piece to find theses days.

EvanCole45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger GT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I can't answer all as I tend to stick to '98-01 Rangers; but I can address a couple:

The "best" T5s come out of V-8 Mustangs; they're ones with 2.95:1 gears and "World Class" components. Unfortunately, they move the shifter a long ways back - (like against the "40" cushion in '98 with 60/40 seats.
The late 80s/early 90s S-10s rear housing will put the shifter just a little behind the stock position (exact location dependent on exact combination of engine mounts, bell housing, etc). The tailshaft from S-10 will just bolt on (you need to watch endplay, etc of course).
SVTCARDs has basically answered the clutch.
My speedo came off the rear axle, so I didn't need to worry about that.
I modified my existing M5ODR1 wiring harness to connect to the T5 (I think just different end connectors).
Again answered by SVTCARDs.

My T5 came out of a '02 3.8 V-6 Mustang, 3.35 1st, the S-10 tail housing is the most challenging piece to find theses days.
Thanks that’s all helpful. I’m not too worried about the shifter placement since I have factory bucket seats. Was modifying the wiring particularly difficult? I have no clue what I’m doing when it comes to wiring.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks that’s all helpful. I’m not too worried about the shifter placement since I have factory bucket seats. Was modifying the wiring particularly difficult? I have no clue what I’m doing when it comes to wiring.
I'm anal about my wiring as I am not good at it. So, when I pulled the Mustang trans, I kept the transmission wiring past the body connector. Then on my Ranger, I disconnected the transmission wiring at the body connector. Then unpinned the Ranger connector and replaced wires with those from the Mustang. As I recall, the wires had consistent colouring and ends, so it was just some time fighting to get the pins to release from the connector body. Wire length was close enough to correct too.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I'm anal about my wiring as I am not good at it. So, when I pulled the Mustang trans, I kept the transmission wiring past the body connector. Then on my Ranger, I disconnected the transmission wiring at the body connector. Then unpinned the Ranger connector and replaced wires with those from the Mustang. As I recall, the wires had consistent colouring and ends, so it was just some time fighting to get the pins to release from the connector body. Wire length was close enough to correct too.
That's not anal, that's doing a good, professional job. Anal is what the sloppy hacks would call it.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You can move the T5 shifter location 8 inches forward if you get the T5 S10 tail shaft housing with mechanical speedo.

Im gonna be trying to use this stuff for a T5 im putting in the ranger this weekend.

Ill let you know how it went if I get everything done.

A T5 from an 87-93 works good the input shaft is longer on the 3.8s or the 94/95 mustang i think.

Last edited:

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I was reading a British roadster fourm found this link for a push type slave

I know of modern driveline who makes a hydraulic slave for fox bodys also.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
That modern drive line is a huge difference in shifter location!700.00 bucks though.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You really need the tail housing and the shifter rob I think.
That modern drive line is a huge difference in shifter location!700.00 bucks though.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
If u have buckets seats I think u just need to cut a new hole and lose a center console if u have one

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals