• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

T-Case Shifter Motor Wire Removal???

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I've been having intermittent problems shifting from 2H into 4H in my 87 BII (AT w/electric push-button). I went out to get the vehicle into 4WD before the next snowstorm hits (a couple of hours) and couldn't get it to shift.

I quickly removed the shift motor ALMOST. All the bolts came off, the harness unclips, the magnetic sensor is loose, and the motor even comes off the case, EXCEPT for one thick greyish wire that goes into the transfer case right beside the magnetic sensor. It seems to have some sort of metal clip that goes through a hole and seems somewhat loose, but doesn't want to come out when pulled fairly hard, even with pliers. This @#$*%$*$! wire is the only thing keeping the shift motor assembly attached to the vehicle. (Likely need to clean the brushes?)

How do I get this wire off so I can take the shift motor into the garage and work on it? Do I just yank harder? I do not want to screw anything up.
As usual, any help appreciated.

CraigK

kkjb4x4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
Mine had one wire that I needed to cut,I just used good quality heat shrink when I replaced it.

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I would rather NOT just cut this wire, if it can be removed. Hence the post.

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The easiest way is to just cut the wire. This way, you can solder on a small connector later and if you ever have to remove the shift motor again(you will), it will just unplug.

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Is there no method to disconnect this wire????

I know I can cut it, but it is hooked to (or through???) some kind of metal piece that looks like a connector. Has anyone actually disconnected this wire? What kind of connector is it that does not unplug or come off?

Thanks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals