• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Swap motor didn't have a thermostat...

1989rangerob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If it isn't in the Constitution it is my duty not to obey .
I'm wondering if this motor is messed up. It shouldn't be, but... when I started taking it down I saw that there was no thermostat where there should be one. I'm wondering if it was purposely taken out because of overheating/head gasket issues.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Could be the t-stat stuck closed and they didn't have replacement handy so simply removed it so they could continue driving it.

Removing a working t-stat wouldn't change overheating issue, since all it does is set a minimum operating temp, so an overheating engine would still overheat.

If you don't plan on removing the head then you can test for a cracked head or head gasket issue by sealing up the cooling system, i.e. put in new t-stat and put back on all the hoses.
Then do the Glove Test, I outlined the test here, post #6: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159700
You don't need to have any coolant in the system, as long as it is sealed the test will work

Last edited:

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If you have not installed your replacement engine yet, I would put it on a engine stand and take it apart. A new gasket set is only about $100 and then you can inspection the condition of the engine and have a freshly sealed engine in your Ranger. Now would be the easy time to do this before you install it.

1989rangerob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
well guys, I put the new motor in. it still has the weird idol. and the exhaust manifold is bad. I couldn't see it before I put it in because it's underneath that little thin metal heat shield. the motor is good. I need a manifold and I need to fix the dang Idol. I think it may be the DIS module

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Fix the obvious first the idle issue could be a stuffed exhaust. A new cat and muffeler wouldnt hurt anything for sure.

1989rangerob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
it isn't the exhaust. The dis is from the blown motor. Which makes me think it may be the dis.

1989rangerob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Almost done

Attachments

Last edited:

1989rangerob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Well, the idle still sucks.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Howdy Rob,

Been a while...I had to look at the history of this to see where you left off...but it looks like your idle had been one of the initial issues...and burning rich...so if it's still bad with the replacement engine I'd say the DIS or parts thereof would be worth considering for replacement...

Did you actually replace the DIS after the new motor or is it the original?

EDIT: I meant to ask...is this a turbo swap or just the motor (turbo motor)? Reason I'm asking is the turbo pistons and workings have slightly different compression and don't exactly work the same (under the same conditions) as a non-turbo motor...if that means anything!

Last edited:

1989rangerob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Howdy Rob,

Been a while...I had to look at the history of this to see where you left off...but it looks like your idle had been one of the initial issues...and burning rich...so if it's still bad with the replacement engine I'd say the DIS or parts thereof would be worth considering for replacement...

Did you actually replace the DIS after the new motor or is it the original?

EDIT: I meant to ask...is this a turbo swap or just the motor (turbo motor)? Reason I'm asking is the turbo pistons and workings have slightly different compression and don't exactly work the same (under the same conditions) as a non-turbo motor...if that means anything!
Hey man, It's been a while :D Yea, the dis is out of the old ranger.

No I didn't do the turbo motor swap.

The motor I swapped is the exact same model and year as the truck. It even had the wiring harnesses. It has approximately 107000 on it. At higher rpms it runs fine and makes decent power for what that motor can make I guess. I did some reading and it looks like I need to test the icm. I'm pretty sure it's not the crank position sensor as I didn't swap that part to the motor that is currently in the vehicle. I checked all the vacuum hoses and fittings. Replaced some. So I don't think it's vacuum related. I did swap over the intake side coil pack so maybe it is bad. I put that pack on the exhaust side. I need to find someone with the tools to test all of this mess.

Last edited:

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Your 'intake side coil pack' that was swapped in may be your problem. The intake plugs don't fire all the time, FWIW. I remember reading that all the attaching bolts must be re-installed as they are used to ground the individual coils internal to the pack. If it is loosely installed, put more bolts in ...
tom

1989rangerob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I'll give it a try

1989rangerob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
So, I checked the DIS and it tested green. The coil packs are good too. The cel gave me a tps error and an rpm error. I guess it might just be the crank sensor

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals