• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Superunner steering in phase?

fender

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hi guys, I just installed my superunner steering kit and it looks decently flat with no modifications done. After reading 4x4 junkies write up on how the angles of the steering needs to be in phase with the axle beams I noticed something looks off. It almost looks like I don't have enough lift for the skyjacker brackets. Compared to others I seen it looks like the steering sits right in front of the drop bracket bolts. Any idea why mines not and if it will make my steering wacky? Thanks!

Attachments

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Indeed your suspension's ride height is sitting lower than it should be (coils not providing enough lift for your brackets).
See this article (bottom half of page, under "DIY"):
http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/winter2008/steering_tech.htm

That steering is definitely not in phase with the suspension, and will become more out of phase after you raise the ride height (your tie rods need to be inline (parallel) with a straight line between the beam pivot to the TRE at the knuckle with the truck sitting at normal ride height). My estimate is your centerlink will need to be dropped down about 1.75 - 2 inches.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Looking here, you can see the point where both your tierod and the suspension (axle) are in-phase (red dot) is way above your tie rod's connection point to the knuckle. Lowering the centerlink would bring that point down so that it sits right atop where your tierod is at static ride height (minimum amount of bumpsteer).

Attachments

fender

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the advice 4x4junkie I really do appreciate it! Unfortunately I really don't want to lift it anymore so I'm kinda stumped. I had tuff country axle pivot brackets before and I had no problems with my ride height. I measure the tuff country compared to the skyjacker and the skyjackers are about an 1 1/8 longer from mounting surface to highest bolt hole. I'm really thinking about going back to the tuff country's. Does anyone else have any problems with the skyjackers brackets?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Should be no issue switching out to the TC brackets. What are they, 3" lift brackets? (probably will only need to drop your steering centerlink down about an inch in that case).

As for the Skyjacker brackets, they are built very sturdy, I think almost no one (including myself) has had any issues with them (if that was your question). TC's brackets OTOH, I have seen a few issues with cracking, though they're easy enough to reinforce/make wider if you got a welder.

fender

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They advertise them to be used with a 4 inch lift. And the skyjacker can be used with a 4 inch as well from what I was reading. I measured both different brand of brackets and i found some interesting info. This explains why my ride height is so different with the same coils and different brackets.

Attachments

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Looks like if you rotated the built-in camber adjuster on the TC bracket 180° it would then about match with that of the SJ bracket (and is probably how TC specs theirs for 4" lift). The way you have it positioned makes it effectively a 3" lift bracket.

fender

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Very interesting. Do you have any pictures of any reinforced brackets? Ideally the tuff country? I'm thinking I might take the tuff country's into a machine shop to have them beefed up, but it would be awesome to have some examples.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I both reinforced and widened the Rancho brackets on mine.
You can see in this pic how the bracket now extends down the front crossmember a ways much like the SJ bracket (there's a bolt for it not visible directly behind the steering idler arm).

The Rancho bracket for the passenger beam was a mere skeleton of steel as it came, I boxed the whole thing up so it's all solid and doubled up the mounting flange so it's 3/8" thick.

Not sure that 2nd one helps for yours, but hopefully gives some idea how to go about it.

Also I had saved these of someone's busted Superlift bracket (I forget who... BloodBane maybe?)

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
the only ones i have not fawked up were the ones joel made me....

this is in stock form...beefed brackets usually work fine.

i wa leaning towards a streamlined complete beefed k member to run a ttb style one ton setup till i got the vms brackets.

if your modifying the brackets you may as well make them to specifically work to your steering goals.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals