• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Super Dana 30/Hybrid Dana30.44/Dana 44hp/Dana44lp which option?

rockwerks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 mazda b400
Make / Model
1996 Jeep chero
Transmission
Automatic
I know the TJ with its low pinion and 4.88 gears likes to eat teeth. I just wonder how many stock gear ratio (4.10 or less) HP Dana 30 gears ever let go before the good shafts break. It is a poll I should probably post on a jeep furom, might have some interesting answers. I have my doubts that there are less than half a dozen HP Dana 30's in the whole world where someone actually upgraded the carrier to 30 spline, renforced the axle tubes, and install cromo axles with improved joints and still run an OEM gear set. There is almost always a re gear involved at that level, then there is a question of lower gearing pinion diameter/tooth contact, gear manufacturing quality and gear setup. With that said I still don't feel good about being the ginnie pig to prove my theory:sad:
I have built half a dozen myself. Most of the time I did not install chromo shafts TNT customs sells awsome trusses for both the dana 44 or the dana 30. I am not saying the dana 30 is the end all axle but they will hold their own when built correctly. The last XJ a I built had HP dana 60's front and rear

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Not to encourage you one way or the other, but I can help you out if you decide to go with the LP 44...I have a set of 411 gears out of my LP 44 I'm building. I have not removed them yet, but I do have my gears to replace it, so if you want them, $75 and their yours. They are not really for sale just yet, but if you want them, you can have first dibs.
SVT

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have built half a dozen myself. Most of the time I did not install chromo shafts TNT customs sells awsome trusses for both the dana 44 or the dana 30. I am not saying the dana 30 is the end all axle but they will hold their own when built correctly. The last XJ a I built had HP dana 60's front and rear
I have personally seen HP D30 gear sets break on 33" and smaller tires. Even broke a set on stock 30" street tires. Cherokees come to my friends house to die. That being said, stick with a 44 center section, even a LP44 is stronger then a HP30. HP only adds so much strength where the physical dimension of the ring gear adds alot more. Sure you can build a D30 to "catch up" to a D44, but your still stuck with a weak housing, small brakes and small R&P.

rockwerks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 mazda b400
Make / Model
1996 Jeep chero
Transmission
Automatic
I have personally seen HP D30 gear sets break on 33" and smaller tires. Even broke a set on stock 30" street tires. Cherokees come to my friends house to die. That being said, stick with a 44 center section, even a LP44 is stronger then a HP30. HP only adds so much strength where the physical dimension of the ring gear adds alot more. Sure you can build a D30 to "catch up" to a D44, but your still stuck with a weak housing, small brakes and small R&P.

I have seen Dana 60 R&P do the same thing, not being able to drive and trashing things for fun has little to do with the real world.

There are hundreds of thousands of jeeps out there with large tires and hitting the trails everyday with dana 30's

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have seen Dana 60 R&P do the same thing, not being able to drive and trashing things for fun has little to do with the real world.

There are hundreds of thousands of jeeps out there with large tires and hitting the trails everyday with dana 30's
Im not talking 1-2 ring and pinions, Im talking in the 8-9 range. A 30-31" tire no matter how hard we beat it, should not be stripping ring and pinions. Specially with no traction on street tires. Stock shafts should be popping left and right but not RP's. My buddies dad has a YJ with a built to the hilt front D30. full Warn hub kit with Alloy USA shafts, cryoed 4.88's. Pinions never break, the ring gear always strips out the teeth and its an open diff too. hes gone through 4 of them. This is with 37" MTR's. Doesnt break shafts just RP. As said before a D44 is a better choice hands down. The benefits are too great all around the board over a D30.

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
i agree, I broke the shit out of my HP30 w/ 33's and 35's. I actually broke every single part on it at least 1 time.

2.3splash

Reaction score
I ended up going with a LP dana 44. The dodge Dana Housing is narrowed, pinion angled up 10 deg more than stock, and housing moved to drivers side. The following parts have been ordered, an Aurburn ECTED. Superior Chromo Axles and Spicer 760 u joints with full circle snap rings. To get the axle lengths needed for my combo I ended up with the EB upgrade long inner axle, a 2003 Rubicon 30 spline Short inner axle, and F150 outer axles. I also ordered the Aurburn ECTED for my rear explorer 8.8 too.

I feel the low pinon will be my best combo for strength, and oil pan/ cross member clearance, added bonus is the dodge dana 44 has super thickwall axle tubes. I choose the Aurburn electric lockers for there price and the only real complaints I have found about them are mostly around the D30 units which don't always hold like a spool when locked. The larger diffs, 8.8 and 44, seem to have lots of happy customers with a few noting that in a really tight high torque situation the Ected has slipped even when locked. In small amounts this seems to not damage the locker and will probably work to save my spicer 760 u joints or my stock Explorer 31 spline rear axles.

Thank you for all your input. I will try to post some pics soon of the build.

Last edited:

rockwerks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 mazda b400
Make / Model
1996 Jeep chero
Transmission
Automatic
I ended up going with a LP dana 44. The dodge Dana Housing is narrowed, pinion angled up 10 deg more than stock, and housing moved to drivers side. The following parts have been ordered, an Aurburn ECTED. Superior Chromo Axles and Spicer 760 u joints with full circle snap rings. To get the axle lengths needed for my combo I ended up with the EB upgrade long inner axle, a 2003 TJ 30 spline Short inner axle, and F150 outer axles. I also ordered the Aurburn ECTED for my rear explorer 8.8 too.

I feel the low pinon will be my best combo for strength, and oil pan/ cross member clearance, added bonus is the dodge dana 44 has super thickwall axle tubes. I choose the Aurburn electric lockers for there price and the only real complaints I have found about them are mostly around the D30 units which don't always hold like a spool when locked. The larger diffs, 8.8 and 44, seem to have lots of happy customers with a few noting that in a really tight high torque situation the Ected has slipped even when locked. In small amounts this seems to not damage the locker and will probably work to save my spicer 760 u joints or my stock Explorer 31 spline rear axles.

Thank you for all your input. I will try to post some pics soon of the build.
Good choice and good luck

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Good choice:icon_thumby: Let me know if I can help you out with those gears:icon_thumby:
SVT

slammer67

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I hope you took pics of the axle build

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals