• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stuck in Four Wheel Drive

Fast Doc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Need some help fellas. My Haynes manual does not seem to address this.

I have a 1992 SLT 4X4 A4LD 4.0 with a BW 1354 (I think). It's the one with the electric transfer case motor. 97,000 miles.

It's been in 4WD the past week due to lots of snow, and it warmed up and I tried pushing the button to put it back in 2WD and it is stuck in 4WD. The button light won't go off, nor will the 4X4 light on the panel. With the engine off cycling the switch, I can hear nothing going on in the transfer case/electric motor. The fuse is good and I don't hear any clicking anywhere.

I'm thinking it's the little motor but I don't know. Need help! I don't have the time to take it in and this is my only winter vehicle.

Thanks.

Bill

Last edited:

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not familiar with electronic transfer cases, but I hear this happens often, It's either the switch or the locker in the t case. I think you can get an ohm meter and trace it down. Check the forums I think it's in there. If it's vacuum operated, check your vacuum lines. Good luck.

Fast Doc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Looking at old threads has given me some help but not a complete answer.

UPDATE:

I acessed the module behind the driver's side jumpseat. I removed the large forward plug and it was in poor shape, some of the wires were falling out of the connector so I think that may be the problem.

As directed to do in an earlier thread, I pushed the test button. The red LED went on and wont go off! Even turning the key on and off did not help. If I push it repeatley I can hear something going on underneath the truck, Maybe the motor trying to move I don't know.

Any more input with these facts?:dunno:

Fast Doc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Look at what I found.

In the same area as the module I found a new connector plug that someone else seems to have started to install and then stopped. Maybe the prior owner had this problem and started to fix it?

Pics of the new connector, as I found it, and the broken old one. I think this may be the problem. Next step will be to solder and shrinkwrap the new connector onto the old wires. This will be a PIA because of the location but it can be done.

The old connector:

The new uninstalled one I found in the same area as the module:

Old:

Thoughts?

LEVE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
If you are pressing the button and the shift motor attempts to move, then the PCB is likely good, as is the wiring harness (If you've fixed it). So now that leaves the shift motor. It may be bound up, or not sending the right information to the PCB.

I'd remove the shift motor and refurbish it. Have you seen these sites?

They will be helpful.

Fast Doc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Replaced the plug. What a PIA. Still does not work. I'll check out those links. Thanks.

Fast Doc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Rebuilding the motor looks like more of a PIA than it's worth if I can get a new one for $100. All I want to know, and probably can't for sure is, is this the problem.

Why did Ford do this? What was wrong with a little lever on the floor?!

Fast Doc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
BTW, LEVE. I'm a fellow Washintonian. Tri-Cities. Thanks for your help so far.

Can the motor be the reason why since I've had the truck it won't go into 4 Low despite replacing the magnetic sensor?

Last edited:

LEVE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, the motor can be physically stuck, or the logic board doesn't know where the motor is pointing to... and shuts down any shifting.

I bought a new shift motor from Spauldings Auto Wrecking in Spokane, the cost was $70. I got the last one... but you might want to give 'em a call and see if they can order one and ship it to you. Here are their phone numbers:

800 366 2070
509 924 3300

If you've got a garage to work in, removing/repairing and reinstalling the shift motor is very, very easy. From my reading when that little cushion-bumper on the back of the switch plate breaks it causes conniption fits.

You should be able to do the whole job in under three hours... it's really straight forward. My shift motor did have that cushion broken into about 10 pieces and the motor was jammed. A piece of vacuum hose super-glued to the screw cured the problem. The motor has never worked so well in the year I've owned the Ranger.

Last edited:

Fast Doc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
What vacuum motor?

I just looked at the motor on the truck, it looks easy enough (famous last words) to remove and replace.

I think I'll just get a rebuilt one, although the one that's on the truck already is a rebuilt one. I hope this is not a dead end/waste of time and money, but if I have to bring it to the shop that will REALLY be a lot of time and money, and Tonto The Ranger is my only winter vehicle. The Corvette or motorcycles will not get me to work!

Fast Doc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I ordered a new motor. $100 gamble...

fourwheelford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
Im in spokane wa there is a ford auto wrecking yard that is really good the name is

Bills auto parts, really good place good guys too.

Fast Doc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
UPDATE:

A miracle.

I can't explain it otherwise. I thought for sure replacing the plug would work and was surprised when it did not seem to right after the repair.

But when I took the truck out last night to dinner, and this AM to church and shopping, it went in and out of 4WD normally! It will even go into 4 Low which it never did before. I will cancel the order on the servo motor.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals