• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stuck in a snowstorm

johnday

Reaction score
Barton City Michigan, under a rock or log. Where
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
When I die, I want to go where the dogs are.
I don't drive an 18 wheeler, I drive a 42 wheeler in all types of weather. Where I go, this time of year a dry road is a special occasion. I have never caused an accident in any type of weather, and yes, I do go around 4wheelers, when it's safe. Up here, we have a few different kinds of drivers, the ubber cautious that cause many accidents, those of us who know what we're doing, and the under cautious that cause many accidents.
A few years back, I was heading back down I 75 from Sault Ste Marie, on black ice for around 20 miles. I was perfectly safe, and in control, at 35+/- mph. Ofcourse, many 4wheelers, when they see a big truck, just have to get around it. Some sort of gene deformity or something I suspect. Anyway, a couple of the gene deformed came around me, and went to cut me off, giving me a lesson for being in front of them, and just kept sliding on the ice, right into the 3' pile of snow the plows made on the shoulder. Further down the road, a State LEO was on the side with a couple of the gene deformed that cracked up, one on their roof. He looked at me and just waved and nodded to me, then I saw him shake his head and pointed behind me. Imagine that, another gene deformed brainiac sliding out from behind me and into the ditch. That part of the day was rather amusing.
I said earlier, to park it if you're not sure, more or less at least. Some of us have been driving on ice/snow since day one, and still respect the crap, but aren't paralyzed with fear, or so cocksure that we're dangerous.
I gave the advice to slow down, no sudden moves, and pay attention, that means looking way ahead of yourself, a 1/4 mile at least.
Finally, not all big trucks are being driven by a real "professional", this is the advice I give my wife and family, and anyone else that will listen, STAY AWAY FROM US, the life you save may be your own. A lot of these guys have no clue whatsoever how to drive on dry roads, let alone snow/ice.
Off the soap box, please continue.:icon_cheers:

mobileaudio219

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I drove fox body mustangs threw many of winters. We don't have horrible winters here, but we get a few deeper (6" - 12") of snow, and a few ice storms each year.

Slow down, keep plenty of distance, and don't make any sudden moves and you'll be alright.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I've seen quite a few idiot drivers in snow and it just amazes me how dumb they are. You would think they would learn after their first accident to either stay the hell home or learn to drive. Neither seem to be the case, they just get another vehicle and continue driving like a moron.

I'm not saying I drive extremely slow in snow/ice, but I do slow down and am a lot more cautious. I'd rather get there in 1 piece than not get there at all.

As for truck drivers I've seen a lot of not so talented ones, there are a few out there who can drive extremely well, but it seems like the past few years companies just hand out trucks to anyone who can breath they can't drive worth crap and are the most un-courteous people I've ever seen, truck driver's used to be the most courteous and safe drivers on the road, and a few just screwed that all up.

johnday

Reaction score
Barton City Michigan, under a rock or log. Where
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
When I die, I want to go where the dogs are.
As for truck drivers I've seen a lot of not so talented ones, there are a few out there who can drive extremely well, but it seems like the past few years companies just hand out trucks to anyone who can breath they can't drive worth crap and are the most un-courteous people I've ever seen, truck driver's used to be the most courteous and safe drivers on the road, and a few just screwed that all up.
100% true. The problem is that the big companies will take anyone that can walk and chew gum at the same time. There is even at least one company out there, that after 6 months experience, you can become a trainer. In other words, the blind leading the even blinder. The newer guys are lured by the big money and gilded promises from the big companies. They tout safety to the nth degree, but really, the bottom line is what matters. Profit at any cost.
We have one of these 6 month wonders, I don't know what the boss was thinking, but he sure sticks out like a sore thumb, he's scared the crap out of me on more than one occasion. Hopefully, when he puts it in the picker bushes this winter, he does it without taking someone with him.:icon_cheers:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
When I lost my job I thought about going and getting my CDL and driving truck there's always openings where I live for one company or the other, but they all seem to think that driver's need 1+ year of experience, but in reality their driver's they already have can't drive worth shit, so why go out there advertising positions for drivers and require so much experience knowing the current drivers are morons. To me its just a way of keeping retards behind the wheel who shouldn't be there in the first place.

I've found that the local Coca Cola distributor drivers are pretty damn rude, they pull out in front of traffic, they don't pay attention, etc. Its sad that the CDL training trucks I see out around the area are far more courteous and respectful than people who have been driving for a while. The reality is truck driver's are no longer the respectful, knowledgeable, and courteous drivers they are becoming the worst drivers it seems like.

slipshift

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When I got laid off, I got a CDL and started delivering commercial vehicles. Over the years I noticed it was getting more dangerous out there, almost like road rage. Most of the accidents involving semis were on straight, flat, dry roads. Probably a result of tailgating. The drivers on the interstates were still better than the local ones here in the Ozarks, many of them don't even have a CDL, don't use turn signals, and half their lights don't work. When I got a job driving a bus locally, one of the drivers saw me doing a pre-trip inspection and asked me what I was doing. He never heard of a pre-trip inspection. :icon_confused:

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
......job driving a bus locally, one of the drivers saw me doing a pre-trip inspection and asked me what I was doing. He never heard of a pre-trip inspection. :icon_confused:
It is never too late to start making a habit of doing this to (whatever) your vehicle whether a long range trip or a local drive to town-

mobileaudio219

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just hate when truckers will pretty much cut you off so they can TRY to pass another truck going up a big hill (on a two lane interstate).... and they'll just cruise beside each other doing, oh, 50 mph until up hill turns to down hill... It's really annoying because I live in central Missouri and it's nothing but hills!

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
I've seen quite a bit of the opposite. Usually the car/truck/SUV drivers are rude and un-courteous to the truckers.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
I dont hang around a semi. I wont pass one on the right if I dont have to. However, should you notice the semis doing the limit, best advised to slow down too. I dont tailgate , I love coasting in the Rat. :D

TheBobmanNH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I've only seen one vehicle ever spin out. I was going south on the interstate and someone on the North side was merging on and spun out. Wasn't anything serious.
One? Are you young? Or just live around no other cars? I would say, in teh winter, I witness at least one accident a month, and a couple good spin-outs. Granted I have a longish commute but still... the reason I hate driving in the snow is because of all the shit I see and I know no matter how hard I try I can't always avoid idiots plowing into me (shame too, because driving in the snow is fun as shit :yahoo:)

mobileaudio219

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
When the roads are covered, between a 7 mile stretch between home and work, I will usually see 3-4 cars in the ditch... A few years ago, I was driving down the service road and I looked over right as a jeep was passing a semi (actually, he was starting to merge back over in front of him), the next thing I know the jeep is sideways, and the semi was side swiping jeep, and they both went hard into the cable in the median. I about crapped my pants.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I learned a long time ago, when the semi's slow down, there is a good reason. Don't know how many cars I've seen spin out behind me or trying to pass. Remember the new years of 78-79, just got back with the ex and got hit with 20" that day and a total of 23". Two weeks later got another 20". They had to call in some rotary plows from out west to blow the roads clear.
Dave

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Yeah when a good truck driver slows down there's probably a damn good reason why LOL. I've seen trucks off the road, cars, etc. I've noticed a lot of it has to do with driver's are becoming more and more distracted talking or texting while driving instead of paying attention to the road, combined with lack of skill of drivers and being overconfident in the vehicle they're driving.

mobileaudio219

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I was speaking of truckers trying to pass each other on hills, in nice weather. It's a pointless effort, all they do is drive beside each other, 50 mph (in a 70 mph zone), slowing down traffic. It's stupid!

There was only about an inch of snow the road (just been plowed), but that was enough to put this explorer upside down in the ditch. I wonder if it had the 3:73 ls that I've been looking for?:icon_thumby:

There was also a jeep in the ditch a little bit up the road, he stayed on all fours though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals