• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stuck bed bolt

EricNobody

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Sooo, got 5 out without a fight, the one over the tank broke the clip and will not unscrew. My father stripped the head, and started drilling it out, I've got a 1/4 inch hole down to bellow the head, dad screwed up my 3/8 and 1/2" bits trying to do the next layer. Any suggestions on getting that sucker out so I can change my freaking fuel pump?

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

cvar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Either cut it off with angle grinder (or cutting torch), or else use 1/2" drill bit on the head to snap it off.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Yeah, angle grinder with a cutoff wheel will work on the top...when you get the bed off you can get at the bottom end...just put something metal under the head of the bolt to protect the bed from the cutting wheel...the washer should cover it...but just in case...those grinders can take off pretty quick if they bind...

I wouldn't use a torch near it myself...not with the bed on there anyway...even the sparks from a grinder "could" ignite a gas leak...

jhammel85

All of mine broke or spun off the clips. I ended up cutting an X in the head and chipped the head apart.

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
All of mine broke or spun off the clips. I ended up cutting an X in the head and chipped the head apart.
did this on a 78 f150 i had to get the bed off of. PIA but it does work eventually.

EricNobody

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
So, I'm going to borrow my buddy's angle grinder, grab a pack of discs, and go at it.

Can any of you suggest a cut pattern?

I'm not sure if I should try to cut as flat as possible, or if I should come in at like 10deg from both sides, and the grind off the remainder vertically? I've used grinders to cut before, but not this close to a surface I want to keep unmolested.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Cut an X or * into the top of the bolt. So your cutting disc is at 90 degrees to the bed. Grind down to just about through and then use a cold chisel to knock off the bits of the head. Use a cutting disc; .045", at most 1/8"....more control preventing slips.

Richard

Last edited:

EricNobody

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Excellent! Thank you!

stuntsunltd.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Bed Bolt replacement

Scour your local salvage yard or Pick-A-Part for a set of bed bolts and clips from an F-150. Have seen several posts on here as well as other forums abt using these for replacement. They fit and are a stronger replacement. Also much cheaper than buying from the Ford house.

parabellum1130

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 for now
Transmission
Manual
i got mine from ford $5.ea.... and had to buy in paks of 4 ....i groung the head off with a grinder n just cut the side of the clip then it just falls out

i ended up replacing every bolt nut pirch n bushing on the rear section....so i wouldnt have to worry bout it again

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals