• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stone crusher steering system

dirtcowboy

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9, 4.6, 4.0, 6.8, 5.0x4
Transmission
Automatic
Yup, that's all there is to them. They are still worlds better than the stock stuff. Worth every penny to me.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
thought about doing this setup as well. still not sure if i will or not tho. might do my own setup. got some idea's in mind. but it def won't be as clean as that!

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
how much that run u?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
how much that run u?
From their website, it looks like $295. I think a person could probably build it from scratch for around $170.

dirtcowboy

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9, 4.6, 4.0, 6.8, 5.0x4
Transmission
Automatic
I got mine used but re-furbed from ThatGuy when he went SAS. I talked to Anthony at Stone Crusher and I think I was quoted $ 319.00 for all new custom fit. Anthony answers emails every day so give him a shout.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
wouldnt it work better to have a solid tie rod(no pivots in the middle) and have sort of a short draglink to connect to that and the pitman arm?

im trying to figure out what makes my tires go like this / \ when i park with the wheels turned

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
im trying to figure out what makes my tires go like this / \ when i park with the wheels turned
If the ackerman angle is a little off (and it usually is), it can cause a small amount of jacking of the suspension while the wheels are turned. Nothing really to worry about. It's also possible you're just seeing the tires leaning due to the caster angle, which is only apparent when turned sharp.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
wouldnt it work better to have a solid tie rod(no pivots in the middle) and have sort of a short draglink to connect to that and the pitman arm?

Wouldn't work at all with the TTB setup. What you said would be fine for a solid axle... but since the TTB pivots in the middle, the steering has to pivot as well.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
If the ackerman angle is a little off (and it usually is), it can cause a small amount of jacking of the suspension while the wheels are turned. Nothing really to worry about. It's also possible you're just seeing the tires leaning due to the caster angle, which is only apparent when turned sharp.
i was mistaking when i turn they go like this \ /, and i can hear my tires kinda slide when im pulling out of a driveway or onto a street

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I'm sure the Stonecrusher steering with it's longer links would reduce that to some extent by improving the ackerman at the wheels.

Another thing that helps is moving the front axle forward through shimming of the radius arm bushings. This changes the steering linkage geometry in relation to the knuckles in such a way as to improve the ackerman somewhat as well.

Again, it's not something all that detrimental though unless maybe you're doing a delivery service where you'd be making a lot of u-turns and what not.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
i might try the stonecrusher out, im still wanting to go jeep coils and see how i like that before i go SAS, hell i might even throw in this dam d35 thats always in my way and change the gearing in it

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'm also thinking of going with the Stonecrusher setup so I don't waste a brand new set of tires...just not sure if I'm gonna have the time to install it (drilling the knuckles and pitman arm out).

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm sure the Stonecrusher steering with it's longer links would reduce that to some extent by improving the ackerman at the wheels.

Another thing that helps is moving the front axle forward through shimming of the radius arm bushings. This changes the steering linkage geometry in relation to the knuckles in such a way as to improve the ackerman somewhat as well.

Again, it's not something all that detrimental though unless maybe you're doing a delivery service where you'd be making a lot of u-turns and what not.
I was under the impression that Ackerman is built into the knuckle. I was told that is why it's best to get an axle/s from a vehicle as close to the same length as your original axle/s. Is this true?
Thanks,

Richard

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I was under the impression that Ackerman is built into the knuckle. I was told that is why it's best to get an axle/s from a vehicle as close to the same length as your original axle/s. Is this true?
Thanks,

Richard
A certain amount of ackerman is built into the knuckle, yes, but the angle at which the tierod is attached to it affects the behavior of it as well (effectively canceling out a portion of what's built into the knuckles). By pushing the axle forward, you're actually straightening out the linkage horizontally (looking from above), which preserves more of the angle that was originally built into the knuckles.

I've never seen the same axle with different amounts of ackerman built into it for different vehicles though (say, the D44 or 10-bolt front under a Suburban vs. a Blazer). I honestly don't think ackerman is as well-understood by the manufacturers as it should be either, as even today all too many cars I see making a sharp turn in a parking lot or cul-de-sac are usually pushing that outside front tire pretty hard in a sharp turn. :dunno:

bonedoc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, durasparked, 350 holley, headers, 2 1/2 inch exhaust
Transmission
Automatic
Definately well worth the money. I believe mine was about $345.00 delivered. It only took about an hour to put in. Just make sure you have a good 3/4" drill bit. WE pulled the pitman arm off to drill it also because it made it easier. Otherwise we then set it to factory specs on the alignment rack. I have to say it handles well, I don't have a steering stabilizer any more either. I'm currently running 31's. Just ordered 32'' BFG all terrains, putting on this week. Will be ordering and installing a James Duff 5.5" stage 3 kit by month's end. Will let you all know how that goes.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals