• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Steering shaft loose

Ken

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2008 ranger 4×4
I have replaced all inner and outer tire rods and checked everything else but still have a little play in steering wheel. I checked everything I can think of and the only thing I found was the steering shaft has play side to side and very little up and down play. All joints and rag joints seem fine but I don't like that the steering shaft has play. It moves the entire steering shaft from rack and pinion all the way up to where it goes through the fire wall. Any help with what hold this steering shaft from moving would be greatly appreciated.thanks

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
how littler is little?
can you post a video of it? at the steering wheel and by the rack.

Ken

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The steering wheel only moves under a inch from left to right and the steering shaft moves in between the joints left to right under a inch. I will try to get a video but I will need someone to help since I can't really record it while trying to move it at the same time but I'll try lol

Ken

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The steering wheel only moves under a inch from left to right and the steering shaft moves in between the joints left to right under a inch. I will try to get a video but I will need someone to help since I can't really record it while trying to move it at the same time but I'll try lol

Ken

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension

Ken

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Everytime I try to send a video even two seconds long that what I get. Sorry I can't send a video for some reason

Ken

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
how littler is little?
can you post a video of it? at the steering wheel and by the rack.
The shaft under the hood that runs from the steering column to the rack has play and I also noticed that when my wife turns the wheel back and forth between the slack in it I hear and feel the play in the rack where the inner tire rod would connect. It is brand new a week ago and was done at. A dealer. Can you remove any play in the rack with that bolt/ but in the front of the rack on the driver's side

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals