• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starting trouble, no spark?

bigredscowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Edit: problem solved (see below)

Of course it dies on me when I'm going to go sell something to pay the bills. Nevertheless, cranking wonderfully but no turn over. First assumed it was the fuel system, God knows how old the fuel filter and fuel pump are. But I threw a screwdriver on the starter solenoid (because I was alone) and i couldn't see a spark at the coil pack (and it was dark so I should have seen something) or the block. I tried a different coil pack but nothing again (not sure if that one is any good either). Any suggestions before I start spending a bunch of money on parts I don't need (not really excited about replacing the fuel pump in this weather).
ATH

edit: 1994 Ford Ranger 4x4 4.0

Last edited:

Stxrangerbumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2009 / 1993
Make / Model
B2300 / f250HD
Engine Size
v6 3.0L/ 7.3L
Transmission
Manual
proved if you have a light engine, if yes, make verify with a reader codes obd1 or obd1-2. otherwise I would go with your idea, it is the fuel pump, if you not heard to kickoff the pump worked
I made precisely not for a long time on 93ford ranger. it is not too hard, take bed off and works it will be made very well

Last edited:

bigredscowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
proved if you have a light engine, if yes, make verify with a reader codes obd1 or obd1-2.
Not sure what you're getting at here, after much trying I have yet to get a spark from the coil pack to any of the plug wires. They are only 2 or so years old (~10,000 miles) and I'm pretty certain they wouldn't all fail at once. It ran fine yesterday without any loss of power. I tried to get what I thought was the secondary wire (the single wire attached to the frame of the coil pack) to spark against something else (following the haynes manual) with no success

otherwise I would go with your idea, it is the fuel pump, if you not heard to kickoff the pump worked
I'm pretty sure I heard the fuel pump running when I turned the key. I'll confirm this when my fiancee gets home.

I made precisely not for a long time on 93ford ranger. it is not too hard, take bed off and works it will be made very well
never thought to take the bed off, that is significantly easier than taking the fuel tank down. Hope those new machine bolts I dropped in there last year when I did a body lift haven't rusted.

n_grimm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you can get gas to spray from the shrader valve on the fuel rail that will rule out pump and filter problems.

bigredscowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you can get gas to spray from the shrader valve on the fuel rail that will rule out pump and filter problems.
do i just push in the pin while the key is turned on?

Stxrangerbumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2009 / 1993
Make / Model
B2300 / f250HD
Engine Size
v6 3.0L/ 7.3L
Transmission
Manual
yeah it easy, turn on key and push in shrader valve (red caps)

Last edited:

Stxrangerbumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2009 / 1993
Make / Model
B2300 / f250HD
Engine Size
v6 3.0L/ 7.3L
Transmission
Manual
you equipped old Test pressure tyres and I guaranteed this stage or fuel pressure test tools

Last edited:

bigredscowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
couldn't find the scrader valve but I remember seeing it somewhere when I replaced the motor. Nevertheless, there is a spark and no fuel sound near the tank when the key is turned. Replaced the filter and its trying really hard to start, barely turning over and then dying. Good thing my battery is strong because my starter has taken a beating today.

Guess I'll be taking off the bed to replace the fuel pump. Anything I should do while I'm in there?
ATH

edit: any recommendation on a fuel pump brand? (i guess I need the whole assembly, floater, strainer, etc?)

Last edited:

bigredscowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok, remembered where the fuel rail is, my schrader doesn't have a cap anymore. pressed it and gas bubbled out for a sec and then stopped. Guess that's that.
Any suggestions on fuel pumps would be much appreciated.
(aside: is this a good time to replace the fuel injectors? if so, it almost looks like you would have to take the intake off, is this true?)

Stxrangerbumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2009 / 1993
Make / Model
B2300 / f250HD
Engine Size
v6 3.0L/ 7.3L
Transmission
Manual
it is almost the entirety of time it is the fuel pump problem. not recommendation sound all in can near good

or also check wire, but,the time this old fact on truck,but, function still very well for me

Last edited:

Stxrangerbumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2009 / 1993
Make / Model
B2300 / f250HD
Engine Size
v6 3.0L/ 7.3L
Transmission
Manual
watch the yellow arrow (shrader valve position)

Last edited:

Stxrangerbumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2009 / 1993
Make / Model
B2300 / f250HD
Engine Size
v6 3.0L/ 7.3L
Transmission
Manual
lift the box with a floor jack and a piece of wood (2x6). can take small time if you are equipped with tools
change the fuel filter at the same time. it low Prices..You can check the fuse if it does not burn

Last edited:

n_grimm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure if you have checked fuses, fuel pump relay or inertia switch but may be worthwhile before removing the bed or tank.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
the thread is titles "NO SPARK". I DID NOT SEE IN THE THREAD WHERE THE OP SAYS HE HAS SPARK. MAYBE I MISSED IT IN THE WHOLE MESS.........I STRONGLY SUGGEST TO THE OP TO FIND OUT IF HE HAS SPARK BEFORE RIPPING THE BED OFF.

bigredscowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the thread is titles "NO SPARK". I DID NOT SEE IN THE THREAD WHERE THE OP SAYS HE HAS SPARK. MAYBE I MISSED IT IN THE WHOLE MESS.........I STRONGLY SUGGEST TO THE OP TO FIND OUT IF HE HAS SPARK BEFORE RIPPING THE BED OFF.
Sorry, when I first started I swore there was no spark and that I heard the fuel pump turn on. I was wrong on both accounts. Not sure how strong the spark is but there's no pressure in the fuel line. I've taken off several beds, it's pretty easy in comparison to taking off the tank from below.

What should I replace while in there and what brand?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals