• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

starter wont stop turning

mr. ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i have a 87 ranger 2.9l 4x4 pretty built up and i recenlty went 4 wheeling and went to hit some trails then i turned my truck off and then when i went to start it all i got was one click and it wouldnt turn over all i got was a click and the click was coming from the coil/sylboid so i replace that and the starter and the ignitoin switvh and now when the key is out of igintion and i hook the battery up the truck turns over wtf ! and i cant figure it out i replaced all the stuff i could think of please help

:thefinger:

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like you dont have the solenoid wires hooked up properly. Your starter (+) wire must be on Positive all the time. Or you have a faulty solenoid (yes I know it's brand new but its been known to happen)

mr. ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Really lol then I should take it back and get a another new One then cause it is wired up correctly my uncle is a works on car for a living and helped me out with it even tho
It's really simple

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If it's so easy, then why haven't you figured it out? :D (just messin :D :D)

Check for 12v+ at the red light blue wire, that goes to the solenoid. If it's powered all of the time with the key out, problem is most likely in the ignition switch.

If no power on R/LB and the starter still turns over when it's disconnected, either the solenoid wiring is wrong, or it's stuck. Simple to diagnose with a volt meter.

clvanhorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like you dont have the solenoid wires hooked up properly. Your starter (+) wire must be on Positive all the time. Or you have a faulty solenoid (yes I know it's brand new but its been known to happen)
^this. between the two trucks i have owned i have put 3 starter solenoids on them. literally every time i had to do this, i went and bought a new one from advance auto parts or oreillys. somehow, all 3 times the first one i bought was bad.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

TRS Events

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Rick W
October Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

25th Anniversary Merch

Follow TRS On Instagram

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals