• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starter problem?

oldjohnny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I have what seems to be a starter problem with my 2.3 95 Manual Trans Ranger. Sometimes (now it's most of the times) It won't start and all I hear is one loud click coming from the drivers fender every time I turn the key. I looked at most of the wiring and it all looks good. I took the starter to Autozone and I was told it was good. Can anyone point me in the correct direction? The truck can still be turned on with a push start, and the battery is somewhat new.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You have a bad connection somewhere in the starting circuit. Start at the battery, remove, clean and replace every connection including grounds. If the terminal ends are not factory, take them apart too.
Good luck,
Richard

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Check the battery terminals. I had a similar issue and it was fixed with a scraping of the terminals. A wire brush type terminal cleaner is very handy, and probably only about $1. Also check any solenoids.

oldjohnny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info, its about to get dark here and I don't think I will be able to inspect every wire as of right now.

Also, the truck turned on right now, but it turned a bit slugish, which it never did. After turning it off for 5 minutes, I got the loud click from the fender again. I've tried starting by joining the two posts at the fender relay and I still get a click.

Every wire seems to be good. I bought a digital multimeter and have no idea how to use it. Just in case I figure it out, what wires should I look for and what readings should I expect?

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
sounds like a bad connection at the battery. start by cleaning the terminals and cable ends like sunk suggested.Also check the connections at the starter. Then have the battery tested(because of the sluggish start).

i don't think you'll need the multimeter just yet.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals