• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stang 5.0? 96 explorer 5.0? 97.5 explorer 5.0?

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
I'm not sure if I'm just siking myself out on the swap. I've spent hours reading, and searching. I just can't figer out which one would be the easiest to swap into a 89 Bronco II. I fully understand that the 97.5+ have the GT40P heads which are the best factory heads. But because of the PATS system i'm not sure if its the easiest to swap in. I read that you can do away with that by just stabbing a distributor and running a stang 89-93 engine harness. to me the cost of buying/finding the harness, just to run the better heads when I could swap out the stang heads later down the road for better heads than the GT40P heads. And you also have the 96 explorer 5.0 which is non PATS but doesn't have the GT40P heads. The biggest thing is that I get knee deep in a thread of reading and just to find out its to a 96+ ranger which is totally different than my broncos wiring. I just am not sure which one is the easiest swap for a 89 bronco II. I'm gona do a C5/C4 trans (I have a C5 already) I've just found a lot of the info gets mixed with 96+ ranger stuff and I guess that is what is confusing me the most.

I know we all like pic's so ill post some pics of my D30 SASed/disk 8.8 89 Bronco II.

Thanks everyone!

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
The wiring is similar no matter what you choose, the Ex has all the connections in one plug, but the Mustang wiring is very easy with the available resources.
P and non P GT40 heads are quite similar, so based on header fitment, I would go non P if looking for a stock style head.
The Explorer engine has much more compact front accessories, which do not require moving the rad, also allowing a mechanical fan. This may interest you.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm with Teddy in the later Explorer with the Mustang wiring/computer. Still easy to find a low mileage Explorer that hasn't usually been beaten on, no rebuild possiblities. Sell the "P" heads for some good Mustang ones, same for the Explorer ingition system. What little you would lose with the heads you could gain with better headers especially if you plan to upgrade later Better intake system, shorter front dress. Lots of options.
Dave

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
I'm with Teddy in the later Explorer with the Mustang wiring/computer. Still easy to find a low mileage Explorer that hasn't usually been beaten on, no rebuild possiblities. Sell the "P" heads for some good Mustang ones, same for the Explorer ingition system. What little you would lose with the heads you could gain with better headers especially if you plan to upgrade later Better intake system, shorter front dress. Lots of options.
Dave
Thanks for the replys! and Ok, well wouldn't a 96 explorer have just the GT40 heads? So a 96 explorer 5.0 with the stang harness then? :icon_thumby: Thanks!

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you are looking for easiest swap, IMO the best answer is all of the above. Use a 96-97 non "P" block as your basis, as it's the easiest to fit once you get the pan swapped out. Combine that with the Mustang fuel injection system for easiest to wire in. The "P" heads won't gain you enough to be worth while. By the time you put headers on the non "P" heads they will work just as well as "P" heads with the factory manifolds. The "P" are also a pain in the a** and the billfold to put headers on in a Ranger/BII.

I'm not sure about what Teddyzee said about the radiator and mechanical fan. I just barely had room for a low profile flex fan using the Explorer 5.0 and 4.0L HD radiator in my 2wd 86 Ranger. I don't know the how much the radiator mounting may have changed between first and second gen though. You do have a big advantage in having the body lift, it will allow you to set the engine further back on the frame. That could give you enough room to run the stock mechanical fan, it may also give you enough room for a Taurus electric fan which I would recommend. The body lift will also allow you to run the larger Explorer V8 radiators with a little work.

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
If you are looking for easiest swap, IMO the best answer is all of the above. Use a 96-97 non "P" block as your basis, as it's the easiest to fit once you get the pan swapped out. Combine that with the Mustang fuel injection system for easiest to wire in. The "P" heads won't gain you enough to be worth while. By the time you put headers on the non "P" heads they will work just as well as "P" heads with the factory manifolds. The "P" are also a pain in the a** and the billfold to put headers on in a Ranger/BII.
QUOTE]

What do you mean by Mustang fuel injection? Can't I use just the 89-93 mustang harness? or will I have to swap in the hole mustang injection system? I just thought you used 96 5.0 took out all the 96 wiring and put the 89-93 wiring in it?

And also I plan on running electric fans, Ill figer that out when I get the engine/radiator in. :headbang: Now i need to start gathering parts! :icon_thumby: thanks everyone!

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What do you mean by Mustang fuel injection? Can't I use just the 89-93 mustang harness? or will I have to swap in the hole mustang injection system? I just thought you used 96 5.0 took out all the 96 wiring and put the 89-93 wiring in it?
That's basicallly what JoshT said, just replace the Explorer ignition/wiring with that from a 89-93 Mustang
And also I plan on running electric fans, Ill figer that out when I get the engine/radiator in. :headbang: Now i need to start gathering parts! :icon_thumby: thanks everyone![/QUOTE]
Using the Explorer front dress you don't really need an electric fan, stock mechanical is fine (in most cases)
Dave

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Basically that's what I mean. Get the explorer motor, use the 89-93 Mustang wiring and computer. You will have to get rid of the Explorer's cam position sensor and install a distributor, because the Mustang system can't use the distributor-less ignition in stock form. I honestly can't say about the rest of the EFI parts. I think they will work with at most a little wiring work.

josh-the-ranger

Reaction score
I just finished my 96 explorer swap. ts super simple if you buy a 96 explorer engine all you need is a few wires hooked up to make it run. I have the 96 explorer EVTM book you could borrow. Are you from spirit lake, im just on the other side of blanchard pass.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There's a big difference between your 03 Ranger and his 89 BII. It can be done but takes a fair bit more work than yours did.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I recently did a v8 swap into an 89 ranger, using a 96 explorer 5.0 with mustang ignition system. Problems you will run into, you need to swap the fuel rails from the mustang, the explorer rails will hit the dizzy not allowing to adjust timing. Other than that, its straight forward. I would stay with the ex ignition system for a couple reasons. 1, its complete and if you need a part later on, you know what you got and so.t have to parts hunt or mix and match. 2, the ex ignition system is a better more efficient design, gives you the capability to run OBD2, a.d allows you to run an overdrive transmission. The wiring, as stated, is easy and in one plug. You need one constant power, two ignition wires, and two grounds, and the motor it running. If you want to use stock water temp and oil pressure gauges, two more wires, diagnostic port? 3 wires from the plug (plus power and ground) and you've got that. I've swapped nearly a dozen V8 into rangers, jeeps, and sport tracs using the explorer ignition system. I know it well and recommend it over the mustang system...

SVT

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Rick, I didn't you reshape an Explorer fuel rail to work with a dizzy once?

Sent from the can

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Shane, the front fuel rail crossover tube is located in front of #5 injector, the mustang is behind, this is what hits the dizzy. It can be mounted completely, but there is no room to turn it to adjust timing...

SVT

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
I recently did a v8 swap into an 89 ranger, using a 96 explorer 5.0 with mustang ignition system. Problems you will run into, you need to swap the fuel rails from the mustang, the explorer rails will hit the dizzy not allowing to adjust timing. Other than that, its straight forward. I would stay with the ex ignition system for a couple reasons. 1, its complete and if you need a part later on, you know what you got and so.t have to parts hunt or mix and match. 2, the ex ignition system is a better more efficient design, gives you the capability to run OBD2, a.d allows you to run an overdrive transmission. The wiring, as stated, is easy and in one plug. You need one constant power, two ignition wires, and two grounds, and the motor it running. If you want to use stock water temp and oil pressure gauges, two more wires, diagnostic port? 3 wires from the plug (plus power and ground) and you've got that. I've swapped nearly a dozen V8 into rangers, jeeps, and sport tracs using the explorer ignition system. I know it well and recommend it over the mustang system...

SVT
Ok! Well then why do i read people use the mustang wiring? just for the fear of more wiring? I have no problem using the 96 explorer wiring, I just thought the mustang wiring was easier? Thanks! :icon_thumby:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
The mustang harness, up to 96, has been widely accepted as the way to go as its somewhat a standalone system. Most fear electrical wiring, and assume that the OBD2 is even worse. My very first V8 swap I, like teddyzee, was going to use the mustang harness, only due to the explorer system was unknown to me at the time. It took me about five years of researching before I did my first swap. Some don't do enough research before attempting a swap, others fear it altogether. Once I started researching the electrical system I found just how easy it was. Even more, all connections go through one plug instead of multiple plugs. I'm not ruling out the mustang setup, as I have used it twice on swaps I've performed.
Research is key to performing a successful, trouble free swap, in any vehicle...

SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals