• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stalling / backfire right after startup

Darel

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
235/75R15
'86 BII 5sp

Having an annoying issue with my BII. When you go and start it cold, it will start and idle fine. High idle is OK, normal idle is fine too. However if you try to drive the truck anywhere, it just won't. It will gag and sputter and misfire, and backfire too under a load. Clutch in / no load and it idles and revs fine. Only when it's got a load on it.

However, this is only for the first 5 minutes or so. Once you manage to stumble a quarter mile or so, it'll be A-OK and run fine all day long, around town and highway driving.

So far, I've replaced the IAC and the coolant temp sensor (for the ECU). When I first got the truck two years ago, I also gave it a full tuneup and replaced the distributor with a reman unit, keeping the original Ford module because the generic module that came with the reman dizzy was bad.

I will also note, sometimes I get some gray/black smoke from the exhaust. Like, at first start, and when it's sitting idling for a long time - for instance, when I was charging up the A/C and it basically sat in my driveway idling for about two hours.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Darel

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I would check the fuel pressure when it's acting up.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Revisit base spark timing
With SPOUT unplugged warm engine, base timing should be 10 or 12deg BTDC most prefer 12deg BTDC
With SPOUT plugged back in it should show about 22deg BTDC at warm idle

Spark timing issue will certainly cause your symptoms as "richer" mix burns faster so spark has to be sooner
Cold start is richer mix, a Choke mode, so spark timing needs that change

TFI can only do RPM spark timing, weights and springs in a distributor
The computer is what sets the LOAD spark timing, thats what the SPOUT(SPark OUT) wire is for, to change spark timing based on fuel mix(rich/lean) and LOAD

Darel

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
235/75R15
Revisit base spark timing
With SPOUT unplugged warm engine, base timing should be 10 or 12deg BTDC most prefer 12deg BTDC
With SPOUT plugged back in it should show about 22deg BTDC at warm idle

Spark timing issue will certainly cause your symptoms as "richer" mix burns faster so spark has to be sooner
Cold start is richer mix, a Choke mode, so spark timing needs that change

TFI can only do RPM spark timing, weights and springs in a distributor
The computer is what sets the LOAD spark timing, thats what the SPOUT(SPark OUT) wire is for, to change spark timing based on fuel mix(rich/lean) and LOAD
Thanks Ron. I did set the timing originally as you describe but I'll check it again and report back. Yeah it always stumbled pretty bad but as soon as I heard it backfiring that's where my head went too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals