• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Speedometer problems

Kv98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I am not sure if this goes here but this is what I’m dealing with. I have a 98 Range that yesterday the speedometer decided to stop working for a bit then randomly started working again, no lights came on. So I changed the cluster with my 95 explorer’s cluster and now the speedometer doesn’t work. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

1995 Ranger cluster won't work in any other year Ranger as is, not sure about 1995 Explorer cluster
They have same wires but pinned to different connectors

1998 thru 2000 Rangers have an odd speed setup
These years use the rear axle ABS sensor for a base speed signal
That sensor has a 20,000PPM(pulse per mile) signalthat is sent to ABS module directly, but its signal tapped by the GEM Module(behind the radio)
The GEM converts the 20,000ppm down to 8,000ppm, that is the Ford standard for computer, cruise and speedometer pulses

So first question, does the ABS light on the dash work?
Does it come on and then go off with key on, that's a Bulb Test

If ABS light works and it doesn't come on when driving then the rear axle ABS sensor is OK

So the problem can be wiring or the GEM

The computer will set P0500 code if it doesn't have a good speed signal from GEM, and that should turn on the CEL(check engine light)
And since you have an automatic it would also shift differently with no speed signal at computer
So if shifting seems OK then problem is most likely at the cluster not the GEM

Pin 1 on center connector on the cluster is Speed signal wire grey with black stripe in 1996-2003 Ranger cluster
In a 1995 Ranger cluster pin 12 is the speed signal on same connector so 1995 cluster speedometer wouldn't work at all with 1998 wiring

Just FYI, the speedometer and odometer each have their own electric motor
But they share the one speed signal wire, so put back in 1998 cluster and see if odometer stays working when speedometer stops working, if odometer stays working then problem is in the speedometer circuit in the cluster not a problem with speed signal from the GEM

Attachments

Kv98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the information. To answer some questions no the CEL light did not come on when the speedometer stopped working and the odometer also stopped at the same time, and both came back on at the same time

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
And ABS Light?

But with no P0500 code(CEL) and no noticeable shifting issues I would say cluster issue

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So cluster issue

Not sure on 1995 Explorer cluster wiring so can't say if that's a good test
But if the grey/black wire pin was loose in the connector it may have been pushed out all the way in cluster swap so no speed signal at all

Kv98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
So cluster issue

Not sure on 1995 Explorer cluster wiring so can't say if that's a good test
But if the grey/black wire pin was loose in connector it may have been pushed out all the way in cluster swap so no speed signal at all
That’s what I was thinking with the original cluster but did not think to check the pin set

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals