• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Speaker setup

Mac Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Putting new speakers in my truck to replace the original factory speakers. Have the Alpine 9856 HU already. Plan to use Alpine SPS-507's which are 2 way speakers. Couple guys at work suggested using those in the rear and some 3 ways up front. I happen to have a new pair of 6X8 Kenwood 3 ways (were for son's Saturn until he realized they wouldn't fit). Does this sound like a good idea???

I was also offered an Alpine series R 10" sub for real cheap by a co-worker who decided to go with 2-12" subs during an upgrade. Do I have to run an Amp for this?

Dave

tylork92

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ok ill help ya out the best i can.

2-ways vs 3 ways: Try them out in both locations and see which you like best. After all its up to you as to what you like out of your speakers. Theres probably not going to be too much of a sound difference anyways.

Alpine 10": How much is he selling it to you for? Those Type R's are known to get fairly loud. However to achieve the most out of that sub your gonna have to build a custom ported box or have it built. Have it tuned to around 32 hz and be around 2.5 cubes. And yes you would have to run an amp on that. If its the newer R series (one with the ruffled surround) then it will need at least 500 watts to sound great.

Mac Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I compared the speakers at a local car audio shop and the Kenwood 3 ways are "brighter sounding" than the Alpine 2 ways. The Alpines sound better for mid level audio. They said I could buy a pair of each for testing and return the ones I don't care for.

The Sub was $100 and I will pass along the specs you offered for a box. He was running a RF Punch 300.1 amp with it.

Maybe I'll see what Crutchfield has to offer...

Mac Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
OK...here's what I've bought so far.

Alpine all the way in the truck.

Alpine 9856 Head unit with iPod connector. $200 a few years ago.

SPS-507 speakers for the doors and back. 2 ways sounded better than the 3 ways. $98 for all 4 speakers.

SWR-1042D 10" Subwoofer 4 ohm with MRP-M500 Mono Amp at 300 watts. $100 for Sub and $143 for Amp.

Went with a sealed box rather than a ported box as it just sounded better to me. Being a little smaller was a perk as well. $50 for box and $65 for cables/wiring

I may end up buying a 4 channel Amp to drive the speakers but I'm not sure.

So far I am pretty darn happy with this setup. Good clean bass without too much boom. Crisp sound up to 25 out of 35, after that it starts to distort.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you did it right. you got what sounded best to you after trying out different configurations and speakers. you won't be disappointed in the sound and you sure did it for way less than most of the systems you see others here putting together. well thought out. kudos to you.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals