• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Spark plug choices...

Which 5.0 plugs and why you chose them?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, first some info for those that don't know. I have a 5.0 P head from a 99 ex in my 02 sport Trac. Even with the 4.10 gears, I'm getting about 17-18 mpg. My goal is to hit 20. I'm due for a tuneup, and with new plugs, wires, and fuel and air filters changed I'm pretty sure I can reach my goal. Since I need plugs, there are a few out there and am thinking of what plugs to use. Normally I use autolite double platinums (app104), but autolite recently introduced a new plug, I think its the extreme. I'm wondering if any any 5.0 members have used this plug and have any results with it. The other plug I was thinking of I'd the E3 diamond fire, but I'm skeptical on this plug. So let me know your opinions and results :icon_thumby:

SVT

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I would use the Motorcraft Finewire's (AGSF32FMF6 or SP432) as my first choice. Second would be the APP104's. Both are really good plugs though.

When I put the P heads on my Mustang, I don't even remember what plugs I used. I just went and got the shortest Platinum I could find. Now that I have better headers, I am going to switch to the Motorcraft Finewire's. I hadn't heard of this extreme plug though. Might be tempting.

EDIT: Maybe they were ACCEL Shorty plugs? This pic is with my new headers.... LOTS more clearance.

Last edited:

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I've had GREAT luck in my old 5.0L (86 F150) with ACCEL shorty u-groove plugs coupled with my ceramic coated headers. The power difference was amazing with a total of 3.5 mpg gain. Gain was calculated with headers and Double platinums and then with headers and u-grooves.

Scott B.

EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My understanding is that platinum (and other materials) are added to slow down wear, not for a performance gain. Those plugs can last 100,000 miles. Personally, I would never leave a plug in for that many miles.

That being said, my engine builder recommended Accel u-groove plugs. He has had very good luck with them. An added benefit is they cost a lot less than the newer "fancy" plugs. To be fair, I have not fired this engine yet, so I have no personal experience.

I remember from years back, Jacobs always recommended copper plugs for their Mileage Master products.

I'd be tempted to run old-school copper plugs with the gap opened up a little bit. (My plugs are gapped to 0.045" with aluminum heads.)

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I was told by someone on TRS or Explorer Forums not to use the copper plugs with the Explorer DIS, and it would burn up the coil(s). Not sure if that's true, I just used it as a reference on my Mountaineer.

hopster

Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0, 5.0 can't decide
Transmission
Manual
double platinum plugs were used to extend service intervals. they are recomended for anything with waste spark systems due to double the spark events per rpm. i don't think the diamondfire plugs are worth it because the spark is going to jump to the closest point no matter what shape it is.

i always recomend motorcraft plugs for fords.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Shane, your correct. With the newer dis systems, double plats are required to fire correctly. I ran regular plats in my 4.0 ranger (to save on $$ that particular time) and less than 1000 miles developed a pretty bad miss, swapped them out to dp's and that solved it. Even though a plug may be designed to run 100k, I never run then more than 25k without swapping. I'll gave to do some looking into the accel u-groove plugs, I didn't know about them. Keep the comments coming :icon_thumby:

SVT

Scott B.

EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That's interesting. I've always run single platinum Autolite plugs in my 4.0 engines. My OHV (that I am replacing) in my '93 has 330,000 miles on it - plugs changed every 20K miles - never had any missing issues.

My SOHC has 100K, plugs changed every 40K miles - again, no missing issues.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
double platinum plugs were used to extend service intervals. they are recomended for anything with waste spark systems due to double the spark events per rpm. i don't think the diamondfire plugs are worth it because the spark is going to jump to the closest point no matter what shape it is.

i always recomend motorcraft plugs for fords.
Hopster, I'm with you on this. I just don't see much performance or efficiency gain out of the E3's. Just like bosch's +4 (personally I think bosch's are junk in Ford's), I don't see the gain they advertise.

Shane, what's your take on the Accel u-groove plugs? I'm thinking of trying a set of these...

SVT

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Shane, what's your take on the Accel u-groove plugs? I'm thinking of trying a set of these...

SVT
I need to pull a plug on my Mustang and see if they are U-Groove plugs. I don't believe they are, but I was in such a hurry to try out the new heads, I just got what worked, and rolled with it.

That said.... I have always felt that a single, more intense spark, would be more useful than two less intense sparks.

I don't care for the plugs that I am using now (Accel you can see in the picture I posted), and I will make the switch to Finewire's next spring. I say next spring because it snowed in the mountain behind my house, so I'm putting the Stang away for the winter this weekend.

EDIT: This is the picture Accel uses to advertise the U-Grooves -

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
I am running NGK Iridium's in mine. I run them in my motorcycle as well. I have not pulled one out to see how they are burning yet though. I did the same thing when I had a 3.slow as well. I noticed a small performance gain then though.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Justin, have you ran the autolite dp's or any other plug to give some type of comparison? Thanks for posting up :icon_thumby:

SVT

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
My Escape had iridium plugs from the factory. I don't know what brand they are, but I recall they said Japan on them. I put Autolite DP's in it about 20,000 miles ago (in the pic vs. my Motorcraft F150 plug). So far, so good. No change in performance, and I got a bit better mpgs - like a 5% or so increase. I read that the OEM iridium plugs don't need changed until 100,000 so that's what I did.

Also, both of these plugs are Finewires......

Sent from a Commodore 64 using a 300 baud modem

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
So Shane, your saying the autolite dp's are more efficient than the iridiums? Hmm, glad to hear that. I'm still thinking about trying the U-grooves. Looks like its down to the motorcraft finewires and the U-grooves...

SVT

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
So Shane, your saying the autolite dp's are more efficient than the iridiums? Hmm, glad to hear that. I'm still thinking about trying the U-grooves. Looks like its down to the motorcraft finewires and the U-grooves...

SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals