• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

So my ranger is going from DD to Full out mud toy, looking for some help.

Southenrfirewood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Iv got a 98 ranger 4x4 with a 3.0 with 4:10s, posi rear and 33s. Its just been promoted to mud toy haha. The first 2 things ld like to do are cut out the exhaust and run it open headers and snorkel the engine into the cab and water proof the engine. What should I focus on with water profing? I was planing on running a straight pipe down and have it run out the side of the cab behind the door and use a dummie sensor so it doesnt throw a code for the catts not being there. Can I do this without trashing the engine quickly? Has anyone ever run there snorkel inside the cab? If so how?:icon_confused:

Thanks!

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just cut a big hole inyour firewall To ggo through the glovebox or passenger floor. Sounds like you wanna take a nice truck and make it a pos.

Is this going to be a mud truck or a trail truck. Driven to the trail or trailored? Iethee way with plans like those weld the rear. Find some sas axle with 4.10 and throw it in. Don't bother rebuilding it.

90longbed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
did the same thing on a k5 blazer after I got rearended and my ins totaled it.....if you dont mind not having a heater you can cut a hole in the firewall after you take the heater out... if it has carpet I would ditch the carpet and coat the floors with herculiner or duraback...my k5 trail truck has a gutted interior and the tub is herculined..... it is carbed so I just run a stock style air cleaner to keep the mud out

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Need a bigger rear end to make it last for starts and good gears as well. 7.5 is a weak rear end with added bigger tires and the abuse mudding will do to it. 3.0 is a crappy motor for putting out power. V8 will be better.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Aside from the fact that removing the cats is against the law....

The 3.0L likes a little bit of restriction to the exhaust. I had the exhaust on mine break right behind the cat so it was just dumping out there. I ran it for a little while like that until I could fix it, but fuel economy sucked, there was zero performance gain, and the noise was obnoxious. If it was me and I didn't want the whole tailpipe all the way back, I'd just cut the exhaust behind the muffler and put a turn-down on it. Or since it'll be for mud use and I'm suspecting it is because you don't want the exhaust being plugged with mud, cut it after the cat and run a stack up through the bed.

Southenrfirewood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Its an old truck that is rigged to start with a switch because of the PATS BS in my truck (I bought the truck without s chip key and 2 years later it stoped letting me start it) Ford couldnt fix it. Its coverd with dents and isnt clean on the inside. Its not worth much so It is going to be trailer to mud events and truck pulls. I have 33s on it already and Iv got a ford 8.8 with 4:10s as back up for when I blow out the 7.5. I want it to be as loud and annoying as possible and I dont belive it is illegal to remove the catts in a off road use truck only. Im just wondering if it will hurt the engine or I I should keep the catts and just run a straight pipe after the catts. I figured out a way to snorkel it into the cab. After I blow the engine and or tranny I am going to start my 5.0 build.

BB92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Keep the cats. Otherwise your o2s will throw the engine out of whack

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I wouldn't ditch the exhaust. If you remove all of the back pressure it's not going to have any low end torque at all.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Its an old truck that is rigged to start with a switch because of the PATS BS in my truck (I bought the truck without s chip key and 2 years later it stoped letting me start it) Ford couldnt fix it. Its coverd with dents and isnt clean on the inside. Its not worth much so It is going to be trailer to mud events and truck pulls. I have 33s on it already and Iv got a ford 8.8 with 4:10s as back up for when I blow out the 7.5. I want it to be as loud and annoying as possible and I dont belive it is illegal to remove the catts in a off road use truck only. Im just wondering if it will hurt the engine or I I should keep the catts and just run a straight pipe after the catts. I figured out a way to snorkel it into the cab. After I blow the engine and or tranny I am going to start my 5.0 build.
Even off-road only is technically supposed to have cats. If the vehicle came equipped with it, it's supposed to be on there. I still have no idea why this topic comes up so much. Catalytic converters are a FEDERALLY regulated thing (of course, one could debate the merits of the legality of such a thing since it technically should be a State right not a Federal one but I digress). The only time a cat affects performance is when it is plugged up to the point of being restrictive. That or you try using a stock cat with a high-performance motor and it just can't flow fast enough. A cat has minimal effect on the sound produced by the exhaust. It has minimal impact on exhaust flow too and most modern engines RELY on the back pressure created in the exhaust systems they install to perform correctly. The engine will not "blow up" because you cut the cat off. But it will run like crap and spew noxious fumes.

I wouldn't ditch the exhaust. If you remove all of the back pressure it's not going to have any low end torque at all.
Pretty much. And the 3.0L is not known for it's low end torque...

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
Just a mud truck....
Put a stroked 351, leaf spring suspension (lots of lift), D60's front and rears (with lockers), big Tranny, heavy duty T-case ( I run a C-6 in mine), and tractor tires.

Southenrfirewood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just a mud truck....
Put a stroked 351, leaf spring suspension (lots of lift), D60's front and rears (with lockers), big Tranny, heavy duty T-case ( I run a C-6 in mine), and tractor tires.
Soon hahaha I can just throw away a perfectly good drive train! After I tear it up then im going to make it into a monster truck. But until then im going to enter it in every event within 200 miles of my house. Every mud race, truck pull, and mud fest. Im going to have alot of fun with it. My last ranger mad Mudlife Magazine and it had an open exagust and I didnt even get arrested. :headbang:

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Soon hahaha I can just throw away a perfectly good drive train! After I tear it up then im going to make it into a monster truck. But until then im going to enter it in every event within 200 miles of my house. Every mud race, truck pull, and mud fest. Im going to have alot of fun with it. My last ranger mad Mudlife Magazine and it had an open exagust and I didnt even get arrested. :headbang:
Pickup some 8.3x24 tractor tires when you v8 it. If you still have stock axles they fit off of a farmall cub

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals