• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

so i made my self proud well sort of

lilrebelranger67

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
so. here's an update. i cut holes in my doors and put some alpine type s 3 way 6x9's in my doors. my cousin gave me an amp so i hooked up two jbl 12"s to it that were also given to me. my refund just came back so im gettin a kicker cvt 12" and then bridging the amp to one channel. will the jbls sound better or would the one kicker bridged sound better? better meaning hit harder. or is it not that simple? or what other sub is slim enough and awesome enough to be worthy of my truck. my amp is an alpine 3548

Last edited:

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
making a sub "hit" is all about your set up. your boxes come in to play alot. now if your have the same set up for the kicker and the jbl, the jbl will have more of a hit be cause there is two of them.

to make something hit hard you need a sealed box. with that smallest cf that the sub can take, and your amp has to be able to put out the required rms for the sub(s) or more......if you have a sub jammed in this lil box and the rms for the sub is 300w have 400w will be a good thing.

so what ever parts you use to make this ^^^^^^ happen will give you the bigger "hit"

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i recommend pioneer subs. they have new pickup subs that fit under seats. these hit harder than a mofo

lilrebelranger67

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
the amp i plan on getting is a jbl gto7001 class d. it has a remote bass control which is why i really want it
so would it be alright for the amp to put out 425wattsx 1channel at 4ohms
i'm just gonna hook up my alpine to the 6x9's.
the sub is rated for 400watt rms and its a four ohm sub. the box its in is sealed and i'm pretty sure its right around the subs rating of 1 cubic foot minimum for a sealed box

oh another question on the back of my stereo receiver it has one pair of rca outputs and it says rear. why would the rear signals be different from the front signals? i thought just as long as they were stereo signals it wouldnt matter what's front and rear.

Last edited:

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
the "rear" rca are set up for one of two reason, one alot of times they are all ready ran thur a LPF, and second on the deck it self it will give you control of the sub with out effecting the rear speakers.:icon_thumby:

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
oh another question on the back of my stereo receiver it has one pair of rca outputs and it says rear. why would the rear signals be different from the front signals? i thought just as long as they were stereo signals it wouldnt matter what's front and rear.
How do you have the amplifier hooked up now? That sounds like the pre-amps outs(?) Eg, pre-amp out is the singal before it's amplified in the deck to power the speakers, which is the wrong impedance for the input of the amplifier. If you hooked up the rear speaker wires into the input of the amplifier, I can only imagine that it doesn't sound very well.

Pete

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i wanna say its on older head unit or a more base model. if its just one set of rcs's then there for the subs or "rear" if the head unit has rca' for front and rear then there is a sub rca as well.

but im almost
%100 he has 4 pair of speaker wires coming out of the head unit and one set of female rca on the back. thoes are for his subs

lilrebelranger67

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
k. so there's no lpf from what i can figure out thats built in. i know its an older receiver its a discontinued panasonic. i eventually plan on gettin a 7" motorized flip out from either dual or jensen.

i hooked up some old 6x8's up to the amp and turned off the lpf on the amp and they sounded just like the fronts do off the unit just amplified. the kicker should be comin in tomorrow. i really hope it fits behind the seat cause if it dont then my freind is gonna have to start ridin the big cheese to school and the sub will take his place

lilrebelranger67

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
if i have a sub that handles 400w rms would a 500w rms amp fry it or would the gain have to be turned down alot?

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
You probably can turn down the gain a bit. I have always had to on almost every sub anyways whether the amp reached it's max output or not.

Loud Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'95
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if i have a sub that handles 400w rms would a 500w rms amp fry it or would the gain have to be turned down alot?
gain is NOT a volume knob. your amp will put out full power at 1/4 gain with the correct input voltage. the gain is simply an input sensitivity adjustment, which allows you to use the amp with head units with different preout voltages. if you send a 400wsub 500w of clean, unclipped (distorted) you will be fine, if you crank the gain up trying to make it louder it will clip the signal and your subs will fry quickly, clipped power causes your sub to move irregular which defeats any cooling built into the woofer=heat build up=burnt voice coil and time for new subs

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
only some of that is true, setting the gain correctly will stop you from having clipping but only on the top end, if its gonna clip its gonna clip,

now the gain setting works as a way to adjust your bass, and to match it your based off your vol nob on your HU, if you turn the gain all the way down and your HU goes from 1-30. you can go all the way to 30 and not hear anything from your sub. if you turn your gain all the way up. you might only make it to 10 before its to loud. your gain controls the increase in your subs based off your HU input, so you try and get the top end of your subs to match the top end of your hu, so when it gets to 30 everything is at 30 not just your subs or speakers.

now if your running hot you can slide the gain down a lil, cause after a point your subs wont get louder you will just blow them, so put the gain down some slides the "scale" down, so when you crank it up on the hu it cant tell the amp to blow the subs, cause your gain wont let it go up that high

Loud Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'95
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
only some of that is true, setting the gain correctly will stop you from having clipping but only on the top end, if its gonna clip its gonna clip,
care to explain that? if you set you gain correctly to your input voltage, unless you take you head unit past 75-80% it should never clip. unless you have everything boosted to the max in the eq or bass boost turned on

i have my gain set a little higher than it should be but i still have my factory speakers so i cant turn my head unit up as far as i should be able to because they start to sound crappy but i also have a clipping light on my bass know so i know im not trying to push the amp too hard

Loud Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'95
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
wow thats a interesting thread, i usually set everything to where the clipping light never blinks, but i am already running 200+ rms over my subs rated power

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals