• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

snow...... and some icy roads

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
50+ ton tanks can't stop or turn quickly on ice, you got 0 chance, lol

You can think ahead and get used to certain aspects, but when you hit a downhill section of road.................physics is now the driver you are just a passenger :)

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
im

running AT/ snowtires or whatever you call them when they have that little moutian with a snowflake on them the tires are called Falken Wildpeaks and they have some numbers on them idk
There are quite a few A/T's that carry the mountain symbol. I prefer the BFG A/T's.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
,winter tires are for snow not sheets of glass
Wrong, actually. Winter tires (especially when they are studded) work very well on ice.

You might be thinking of snow tires. Snow tires are designed for running on snow.

Winter tires are designed for winter road conditions, which include snow and ice.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
There was recently a thread about snow tires. M/T's are terrible in Snow, as snow tires are terrible in mud. You might want to consider snow tires for the winter, if you are not running them already.
Don't bother with snow tires. You want Winter tires. There's a huge difference between the two. Snow tires are to winter tires as mud tires are to all terrain tires.

Snow tires are designed to be used on snow. Winter tires are designed to be operated on all winter conditions, including snow, ice, and dry pavement during the winter.

Just like mud tires are designed to be used in mud, but all terrain tires are designed to be used on all terrains.

Does that make sense?

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The NH state cops said there were 53 accidents on our interstates yesterday. I thought frozen roads plus rain = glare ice was common knowledge but I was mistaken. Before everyone "needed" front wheel drive or all wheel drive we had fewer problems, people knew they had to allow more following distance and try to gain a little speed before hills so they could gradually ease up on the gas to avoid spinning and getting stuck on hills. Now they tailgate- all the time- and go up and down hills at walking speeds. If one vehicle doesn't have good tires, the whole line of traffic is stopped. A lot of folks thein AWD means they're bulletproof, it means you can go in the snow, it does not mean you can stop or turn. ABS is deadly on snow and ice, it prevents wheel locking which means you can't stop.
If you have to lock your wheels in order to stop, you are doing it wrong. Take a curling rock, and throw it down a sheet of ice. It will slide. That's what locking your wheels does. All you can do is slide. You will not lose momentum, which you need to do in order to stop. Worse, because your wheels are locked, you can not steer.

On snow and ice, you want your wheels to keep rolling. Remember that curling rock that I told you a minute ago to throw down a sheet of ice? Now take something that will roll. You'll find that the object that can roll will not go as far as the curling rock. It's physics.

Driving a vehicle with ABS is a whole different animal from driving one without. Without ABS, you press the brake pedal until you feel a wheel lock, then release it until that wheel starts rolling again. Wash, rinse, repeat. With ABS, you press the brake pedal as hard as you can, and hold it steady. Don't worry about the fact that it's making nasty noises, and you feel the pedal pulsing under your foot. That's the ABS system doing it's job, pumping the brakes faster than you can with your foot.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i cant run any chains on my pickup because of my over size tires but whats on it right now are aggressive ATs and i have a set of sutded snow tires for it but thanks for the tips
Get those studded winter tires on ASAP. Again, they are not snow tires, they are winter tires (or should be). If I were you, I'd put them on their very own set of steel wheels, so that you can change over in your driveway.

Label your tires according to the corner you took them off of. LR, LF, RR, RF. Do that for your winter and summer tires. When you put the winter (or summer) tires back on, put them on the opposite axle. So, your LF and LR change places, and your RF and RR change places. That way your tires get rotated yearly, which will help to even out wear.

Danger_Ranger.308

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
Studded tires would be great unless of course they're illegal in your state, Texas for example. Its giving me flashbacks to the great snowpocalypse of 20 where half the state had no power and chains and studs are banned by the people who turned the power off (probably).. Fortunately for us there is enough northerners here to lead the flocks of idiots who only have a days worth of rations to resupply and the purchasing of camp gear.

Meanwhile my family was safe at home enjoying the fine party like it was 1840 with wood burning appliances and a deep freeze full of critters that needed cooking.

also worth noting it was the best year working as a body tech yet lmao :D

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
If you have to lock your wheels in order to stop, you are doing it wrong. Take a curling rock, and throw it down a sheet of ice. It will slide. That's what locking your wheels does. All you can do is slide. You will not lose momentum, which you need to do in order to stop. Worse, because your wheels are locked, you can not steer.

On snow and ice, you want your wheels to keep rolling. Remember that curling rock that I told you a minute ago to throw down a sheet of ice? Now take something that will roll. You'll find that the object that can roll will not go as far as the curling rock. It's physics.

Driving a vehicle with ABS is a whole different animal from driving one without. Without ABS, you press the brake pedal until you feel a wheel lock, then release it until that wheel starts rolling again. Wash, rinse, repeat. With ABS, you press the brake pedal as hard as you can, and hold it steady. Don't worry about the fact that it's making nasty noises, and you feel the pedal pulsing under your foot. That's the ABS system doing it's job, pumping the brakes faster than you can with your foot.
I've driven in snow since 1970 and modulate the brakes instinctively, ABS defeats the effect. ABS was designed for the idiots who stand on the brake pedal and slide into oncoming cars because they can't drive. On clean, bare, dry pavement ABS stops quicker, unfortunately that doesn't describe NH's roads in the winter.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals