• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

slipped timing belt

JohnnyUhlar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
alright so it appears i slipped a timing belt. but i slipped it while in motion. now i was wondering, is it as simple as putting a new belt on there? or did i seriously damage my motor? please let me know whats more likely and how to go about fixing it.

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
if its the 2.3 lima used in trucks made before 2001, no, a broke belt wont bend anything, its all a matter getting a new belt, aligning the timing marks on the crank and cam and slipping the new belt on, it may take a few tries but its not hard. i think the tech libary shows how to do it.

rrbrian222

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
To add to what Cody said, here's a good thread regarding the 2.3L Lima engine timing belt replacement procedure:

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86520

You didn't state what engine you have though, so we're just guessing with our advice. I do believe the other Ranger engines have timing chains, including the duratec 4 cylinder.

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You can verify the belt by removing the timing cover and checking the timing marks. The most crucial part of the replacement is getting the tension right on the new belt. I haven't been into one of these specifically that I remember, but most have a spring loaded tensioner- so you can loosen the adjustment bolt, pry it over, then tighten the bolt to assist in getting the old belt off and new one on- with the tensioner pryed over and tightened down the belt should be loose... then after replacement loosen the bolt and let the spring tensioner take up the slack. At this point I rotate the engine in whichever direction it takes to tighten up the side away from the tensioner so that the loose part of the belt is at the tensioner side- let the tensioner take out the slack in that position and tighten the bolt down. Because the belts are fiberglass they don't stretch so they stay tight. if you have any questions or need assistance u can call me and I'll walk you thru it. PM for the number.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
alright so it appears i slipped a timing belt. but i slipped it while in motion. now i was wondering, is it as simple as putting a new belt on there? or did i seriously damage my motor? please let me know whats more likely and how to go about fixing it.
What motor you got???You did not say......

:icon_confused::icon_confused:

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
What motor you got???You did not say......

:icon_confused::icon_confused:
Seeing how he has a 1997 Ranger, and the only engine that had a timing belt in 1997 was the 2.3 Lima (in fact the Lima was the only Ranger engine to have a timing belt ever, except for the diesels...), I'm going to assume it is a 2.3 Lima. :icon_thumby:

JohnnyUhlar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
exbass94 would have to be correct. and sorry for the lack of info. but to keep you guys up to speed on how far ive gotten, im all the way down to the cover, andd the spark plugs. my only issue is the plugs. i cant seem to get any sockets to get down in there and grip the damn things. i pulled out a spare plug from the garage and matched a socket to fit it, but it wont grab the ones on the motor. any suggestions?

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You need a sparkplug socket- regular one from the socket set usually won't cut it in a tight place...

JohnnyUhlar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
i went to a friends shop and grabbed a set. now my problem is the crank shaft pully. i overlooked that and thought i was all set. i cant seem to get the damn thing off. ive used a large impact wrench and no luck. also tried a cheater bar. still nothing. any suggestions on that?

rrbrian222

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual

Desert Rat 23: "I just put my breaker bar on it, tied it to the frame with a tie down strap and with the ignition coils disconnected, cranked the engine for a half second. Worked like a charm."

JohnnyUhlar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
that looks like a really dangerous way to loosen the bolt. whats the risk of damaging a part?

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You have to verify that the engine turns clockwise so when you hold the bolt this way the starter forces the bolt counter-clockwise. I've done this on several vehicles before I bought a bad-ass enough impact wrench. Make certain the socket is on properly to avoid hosing the bolt...

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
I've done that trick with every 2.3l ive done a belt on. Never had an issue. I usually test it against the ground and put the foot on it and have some one bump the starter.

doomed dan

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
help timing belt slipping 2.3

i have been at it all week line it all up mark belt with pully start it it slips

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals