• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

slight knock and hard start

joshuakaesekamp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
hello i have a 2001 2wd regular cab with the 3.0 v6 that i just bought and it has a slight knock sometimes it sorta changes to a tick it only knocks at under 1500rpm or when under load. it also has a hard start i have to crank it alittle longer than normal but there are no power losses and no check engine light. i assume the hard start is fuel pump but not sure. i replaced all spark plugs and coil and the fuel filter looks to be new. the cylinders closest to the fire wall were both melted on the tips of them. i have checked valves and the sound is not coming from them. and it starts like normal if you start it right after you turn it off. could it possibly be a fuel knock of some sort. i have also put fuel injectors in that i know for sure work so i dont think it can be anything with thoes. any help would be much appreciated thanks in advance

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
You need to put a real oil pressure gauge on it. You can get a tester gauge or just buy a cheap oil pressure gauge in the store. If the pressure is low, and the needle bounces with the knock, you have serious engine problems. If the pressure is good and steady, then it's something more minor.

joshuakaesekamp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
would you know where i would connect the gage to like where on the engine. would i just put it where the factory oil pressure gage or is there another spot

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Yes. Take the factory sending unit out and put the mechanical gauge with the tubing in it's place. They work best for troubleshooting.

joshuakaesekamp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
so i ended up getting a motor for really cheap and i ended up just swaping motors witch fixed the issue but thanks for the help

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals