• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sliders through the rockers

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I'm looking to build a set of sliders here soon, and had an idea I've seen on other vehicles before but not on rangers....

Has anyone here run the slider-frame tubes through the rocker panel's as to not lose any ground clearance, and how has it worked for you?

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
The frame hangs down well below the rocker panels so I don't think ground clearance would be much of an issue either way. The rocker panels on my exploder were rusted out when I got the truck so I replaced them with 3/16 wall rectangular tubing. they have saved the doors a few times and after checking the underside for bumps and scrapes perhaps ground clearance might be an issue after all. Post pictures when you do it.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Rocks almost always tag the rockers before the frame, even with them higher up.

I cut the rockers off completely on mine, then mounted the sliders directly underneath. I think I lost at the most a ¼" clearance doing it this way.

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Do it. I've thought about rebuilding my sliders and doing the same. With no body lift, the bottom of my rockers are closer to the bottom of my frame; so any added ground clearance would help I'm sure.

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I just cut the rockers out completely.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
The catch is that no matter how well you mount the sliders, the frame rails will twist and the body will put weight on to the slider......

It can still be done but you need to make sure you can account for that...

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Well, I plan to add a few more crossmember's as well and I hope 1/2" clearance around the tubes should be sufficient as I really don't get that much frame flex. Even when fully flexed, my body twist is less then the thickness of the bodyline. I'll post pics as soon as I can get on this project. I'm about to get elbow deep in my old mans 97' Foreman as I blew the rear drive outta the tranny and the fender brackets all need repaired.....and the lift has to go in too.....

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Really crappy loading ramps and steep angles with slush.....I hit the ramps in third gear, made it until the front tires hit the wheel wells, slid sideways off the ramps and landed on the rear tires only. It would have been ok, but I had the throttle pinned as I was falling off the back of the machine as it fell towards me......

I took it apart tonight and it turns out I just stripped the worn out splines on the rear axle, so it was more a matter of time then of total carnage....

As it sits, no rear axle assembly....

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
So...like every project of mine, it get's done but never on my intended schedule!

Here's the beginning of the passenger side slider.

Last edited:

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The only suggestion i would make is to cut back the jog out in the front, it looks like it's just screaming to get caught up on things.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
It'll be getting cut parallel to the body, just had to get enough material hanging out to have the inside part flush. I'm not sure if I'll add another outer loop or not....Opinions?

Here's the intended cut up front:

Here's the rear mount:

slammer67

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hmm, not a bad idea

good fab work

but they seem a little too high, your rockers can still take a beating, which defeats the purpose of a slider, but it shouldn't be so bad that you cant get the doors open, which i've seen happen in rocker vs rock situations.

but why did you turn out the front of the slider and not the back? and it does look like it would get caught on things, especially if you cut it like you have shown - it looks like it would tear some stuff up. I wouldn't want to be your spotter. lol

but I'm just messin - like I said, good work

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Lol, I plan on adding a mini fender flare outta 1/8" aluminum from the lower bodyline to just below the slider to attach a removeable mudflap to in an attempt to keep the truck semi-clean.

I was thinking about adding another outer tube and didn't wanna leave a large gap between the body and inner tube to get a log/tree jammed into. They are just flush with the rockers, no higher but I know where your coming from....I just didn't wanna lose any clearance. Figured any protection is better then no protection!

dhinch279

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It looks good, what kind of tubing are you using and how long are the tubes that run from the frame to the sliders?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals