• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Side-to-Side Movement under Hard Braking

idahorally

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0L 2WD
Transmission
Manual
I've got a 94 4.0 2WD that has some pretty terrible braking power. Pads and rotors are in good shape, however under hard braking the truck will dance pretty aggressively from side to side. When I first bought the pickup the previous owner had a jumper wire in the Brake Fluid Reservoir Sensor to prevent the ABS light from staying on, I went ahead and replaced the sensor. The ABS light stays off, unless you guessed it, I mash the brake pedal all the way to the floor. Whether or not I am parked or driving, this is the case.

I am considering potentially just replacing the entire front setup, calipers and all. Any guidance on where else to potentially look for a culprit?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
That truck has RABS... just the rear wheels are anti lock. The RABS system doesn't even come on unless both rear wheels stop turning while the vehicle is still moving. It has zero to do with the front brakes.

Secondly if the pedal goes all the way to the floor... you have some sort of problem in the hydraulic system or rear brakes are really out of adjustment. So does the pedal really travel all the way to the floor?

idahorally

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0L 2WD
Transmission
Manual
No, sorry, the pedal doesn’t literally go to the floor I was just referencing when I have to mash it down in a sudden traffic stop situation.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Side to side movement means one side of the truck is engaging the brakes a LOT harder than the other.

Start with basics, bleed the system out, and especially make SURE the rear drums are adjusted out enough where they are actually doing something.

Those steps are cheap, after that, maybe just replace the calipers and wheel cylinders. Cheaper than being in a wreck.

idahorally

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0L 2WD
Transmission
Manual
Easy enough, I’ll get that done on my next day off. Based on both of your responses can I assume the rear brakes are more than likely the culprit in this? I’ve been primarily focusing on it being caused by the fronts.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Poor braking can be caused by the drums being severely out of alignment (just recently went through that so it's fresh on my mind). However, pulling to one side may also be the front brakes, that one is harder to diagnose from afar.

idahorally

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0L 2WD
Transmission
Manual
Understood. I’ll start with the flush and rear adjustment and go from there.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
While you are working on it, if you mess with the front and have it off the ground, before you take the tire off each side, grab the tire at 12 noon and 6 o clock and try to wiggle it to check for play. Then grab the tire at the 3 o clock and 9 o clock positions and try to wiggle. There should be no play at all. Loose parts in the frontend will cause wandering during braking as well.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
The strange part of the OP's symptoms is that the ABS light turns on while depressing the brake pedal while the vehicle is stationary. I think there is some overlap in functionality in the warning indicator between the fluid level in the master and the actual functioning of the hydraulic system. Similar to the way a proportioning valve use to trip the indicator pre RABS. Or maybe it's the park brake and fluid level tied together... I just can't remember and I don't have a schematic to look at. Maybe @RonD can shed some light on this. But if the ABS light turns on while vehicle is stationary... I would think you have severely out of adjustment rear brakes or there is a hydraulic leak in the system.

As for the "dance pretty aggressively from side to side"... @franklin2 pretty much covered my thoughts. Any play in the steering or front suspension will get amplified during hard braking.

Maybe you can answer a couple more questions...

Is the brake pedal firm and at the top?

Is the brake pedal low and mushy?

Does the brake system lose any fluid?

idahorally

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0L 2WD
Transmission
Manual
Just finished doing a run through on the pickup..

@franklin2 there does seem to be a bit of play on the front wheels primarily from the 3-9 holding position. Steering has always been very loose in the vehicle, but the alignment stays true. I was considering just the steering box but maybe it is more suspension related.

@Uncle Gump The brake pedal seems fairly normal, and responsive, it's definitely not firm at the very top but certainly mid push and it never bottoms out. The emergency brake fully engages around the 7th-8th click, out of about ten. I have not witnessed any fluid loss no.

In assessing the drum brake adjustments... before I started the tires could freely spin about 2/3 a rotation with a hard turn, based on the videos I watched that was seemingly in line with what I should expect. I gave the adjustment cog a number of spins, that should have resulted in the shoes being adjusted out, but I never noticed any more grab on the wheel spin test. I continued to adjust to an excess, and still, did not notice an increase in grab. I think I will probably be buying a new rear shoe/drum/spring set and swapping it all out.

While I was under the pickup I did find that the rear differential needs oil, I am not sure how low it is yet, I am going to go run and grab some 80w90 and see.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There is another potential area on the steering column that can be worn, that is the rag joint.

idahorally

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0L 2WD
Transmission
Manual
After addressing the differential fluid issue (it was only about 400ml from full) I went ahead and flushed the brake system.

I am pretty sure the driver side rear assembly was the potential primary culprit in my braking issue. Once it was bled through that side the pedal firmed way up, about to take it out around the neighborhood to see how it feels overall.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
With the description of your rear brake adjustment experience... It sounds to me like you were either turning the adjuster the wrong way... or you thought it was adjusting when it really wasn't.

I'm going to recommend you pull the rear drums off and just give the rear brakes a complete inspection. Something certainly isn't right in there.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
As long as your adjusters are working properly all you need to do to adjust the rears is hold out the e-brake release handle and pump the e-brake pedal to adjust the rear brakes. They will not over adjust so just pump it all you want.

Just a quick tip for your gen truck once to u know the rear brakes are working properly.

idahorally

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0L 2WD
Transmission
Manual
Well the firmness of the pedal dissipated after about two hours of being parked. I am out of daylight so I can’t go rebleed.. but there’s definitely something amiss with the drivers side rear assembly. Now that I’m aware of that I can definitely tell it pulls to the right under hard braking.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals