• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

BrooksK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 and 2004
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I am obsessed with birds.
My sun visors were pretty trashed, so I got new ones from Acme Auto. I thought I would post here to show what they look like compared to the OEM visors in case anyone else was considering them. The pictures shown on rock auto and other places do not really show much detail, other than you know they are visors that match the shape of your current ones.

My originals were grey. I am redoing the headliner black, so I got black visors to match. The new ones do not have the OEM stickers. They look and feel like they are covered in the exact same headliner material that I used. On the drivers side, the map strap thing is different. On the passenger side, there is no vanity mirror. I don't mind not having the mirror, it was literally the least used thing on the truck. Probably only ever opened once when the truck was new.

Personally, I would prefer them to be identical to OEM, but I am satisfied with these when compared to the condition of my old ones.

Drivers side:

Passenger:

I originally made a thread (in the wrong forum) asking how to get the rod off of the old visors since the new visors do not come with the rods. I figured it out. Just screw the visor back into place, and pull straight off the rod while twisting. There's more room if you scoot over to the opposite side of the truck to do it.

The OEM visors were sewn closed, and the rod was inserted through the fabric from the factory. You can see the hole where it tore the fabric here:

The new visors are the same way:

I took a drill bit and twisted it by hand to make the hole. This way, it is easier to line up and slide on. They fit onto the rod with friction, and it doesn't take much force for them to slip and go the wrong way when pushing them on. Just go slow and keep twisting. They will slide on. I didn't want to use any grease in fear of getting it on the fabric.

Here's how it looks until the headliner goes back in:

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I wonder if my '88 is the same way? My vinyl visors are great but the mount is worn to almost nothing. Of course they'd probable be loose on the rod after changing...

BrooksK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 and 2004
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I am obsessed with birds.
I wonder if my '88 is the same way? My vinyl visors are great but the mount is worn to almost nothing. Of course they'd probable be loose on the rod after changing...
I wonder if there's a way to crimp the area that the rod slides into for more friction?

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I'm pretty sure it's just cardboard. Worth looking into tho. They're useless as they are.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals