• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

separating 5 SP from 2.8

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Hey all.... this might be a stupid style question...... but.... I have never separated a standard trans from an engine before .... hoping to take a 5 speed off a 2.8 that i have on the floor of the shop over the weekend.

However, are there any secrets i need to know before i start to take the bell housing off the engine? what should i expect to encounter? Clutch springs or any loaded parts that will fly apart?

thanks for any help.

cheers

Garth Libre

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey all.... this might be a stupid style question...... but.... I have never separated a standard trans from an engine before .... hoping to take a 5 speed off a 2.8 that i have on the floor of the shop over the weekend.

However, are there any secrets i need to know before i start to take the bell housing off the engine? what should i expect to encounter? Clutch springs or any loaded parts that will fly apart?

thanks for any help.

cheers
I've never separated them when they are both on the floor but there is nothing going to fly off. Still I would imagine you must be certain the engine is securely held as you pull the tranny back. What I would fear more than anything is damaging the splines as you pull back. There is ample opportunity to scratch them at the very end of the pull.

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
There are six bellhousing bolts to remove, the top 2 are easiest to get from up top. There is also a small 1/4” screw that holds the separator plate to the bell housing that you have to remove to separate the engine and transmission. You’ll also find the two to be really stuck together and it’s going to take a lot of wiggling at the transmission extension housing to separate the two.

Nothing is going to fly out or fall apart. The clutch hydraulic line disconnects from the slave with a spring pin.

if doing this in the ground, you’ll have to remove the bell housing from the transmission to get them out from under the truck.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Technically, you could pull the bellhousing bolts out and the transmission would stay where it is at. The main shaft would be still inserted into the disc plate which has the pressure plate around it bolted to the flywheel..

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
thanks guys, i wasn't sure what to expect, but it sounds pretty straight forward. need to take the trans off the engine as i will be rebuilding the engine and placing it in to a different truck with auto. the 5 sp is still a decent trans, so didn't want to harm it taking them apart. cheers will ask any questions if i run into any probs.

cheers

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
it should be easier than taking an auto off since the standard is lighter

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
was a piece of cake thanks guys.... after a figured out that that clutch disks have to come off the flywheel first to expose the crank bolts ... all was easy after that...... was simple to do... held the engine on the hoist ... holding it off the ground, then placed the trans on a car wheel dollie .... so after the bell housing and trans rolled away it was all easy to separate

thanks. cheers

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals