• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Screeching noise when attempting to start truck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31”
Hello, I have a 2003 Ranger with 189k miles and the 4.0 SOHC. It was having some problems related to power loss (3rd/4th catalytic converters clogged) so I got those fixed. The power problem was fixed but now it's having some mild starting issues. Sometimes it fires up right away, other times I have to let off the starter and then try again. It always goes 2nd try but it gets worse. Every now and then when I go to start it it makes a loud screeching sound, almost like the belt is just rubbing something. It doesn't sound like metal-on-metal contact. When I hear the sound, I let off, wait a few seconds, then try again. It never does it the 2nd time. Any ideas as to what might be making that sound? It had the alternator replaced last December and the serpentine belt done last August, if I remember correctly. The months might be the other way around but that doesn't matter.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
That noise is usually associated with improper meshing of the starter drive gear teeth into the flywheel/flex plate teeth.

I would suggest pulling the starter out and having a look at things.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31”
Ok. Could it have anything to do with a bad battery? It got REAL cold where I live last month. It was down in the -10* daily for 2 weeks.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A bad belt can cause a nasty screeching sound as well. Believe me, I went through that on a 4.0 mustang. Ended up being the belt tensioner was getting weak, hence the belt wasn't tight enough. I sold it to a friend's son, and he started getting the screech as well. Ended up buying a tensioner with a larger pulley. That fixed it right up, never screeched again.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
He did say he replaced the belt, but that doesn't mean that one of the pulleys didn't go bad since.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
When it happened to me, it took three different belts before i found one that didn't screech. That was when I figured out there was something wrong with the tensioner. The one I bought ended up having too small a pulley on it. Friend's son found one with a larger pulley, hence that made the belt even tighter. No more screech.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Don't know what it is with the pulleys man? I've changed the alternator on my 98 Ranger twice in 26 years. Both had different sized pulleys. The first was considerably smaller than the original. The second is half way between the small one and the original. Other than that, they both worked fine.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31”
He did say he replaced the belt, but that doesn't mean that one of the pulleys didn't go bad since.
I plan on checking it out tomorrow. I did notice some grooves on the top of the belt that don't look like they are supposed to be there

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Grooves on top of the belt would indicate that one of the items with a smooth pulley may be at fault.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If there are grooves on the wrong side of the belt, that sounds like the belt was routed incorrectly. Smooth pulleys should have the back/smooth side of the belt against them and grooved pulleys should have the grooved part of the belt against them. There should be a diagram on the radiator support.

If that all looks ok. Have someone start it while you are looking in the engine bay so you can better isolate where the sound is from.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, that could be as well. Just think, if the back of the belt is riding on the grooves, whatever that item is would be turning backwards. Maybe the reason for the screech?

Anything with grooves turns the same direction as the crank. Anything smooth turns opposite the crank. Routing is very important.

Broosedamoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 x 10.5
My credo
Coming in second just makes you the first loser!
Could be the harmonic balancer. I just had the same issue. For about two weeks the belt was sqeeking. I replaced the belt, the tentioner and the idler pulley to no avail. Then it started barking (for lack of a better word) when it started. Two days after that the harmonic balancer completely seperated.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals