• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SAS on 97-03 F-150

wookie13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4 TRITON V-8
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 02 F-150 4x4. I have been searching what seems like for months on doing a SAS on my truck. I have read through several build threads on here about SAS on a RBV's and was wondering if anyone had some good info that I could use for my 150. I have posted this question on some other forums and have recieved very little if any responses.

Here is what I am planning on using

99-04/5? F-250 super duty axles D-60 up front w/ Ford Sterling 10.25 rear.

I know that the SD axles are 8 lug and that they have the setup that I need w/ 4-wheel discs and the Abs. I DO plan on driving this on the street so I was wondering if coils up front would be the way to go-all the pics I've seen on the net about this swap all use leaf springs for the front and I would like to use coils for a better ride.

Is this a really hard swap to do? I know a LOT of members on here have swapped to full-width axles on their rangers and such and the 98-up ranger has a simalar setup as the f-150. I figured it would be pretty much the same just the truck and the parts would be larger.

Any info/help would be appreciated greatly!!!!

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Just an FYI those years of f250 front axle will be the D50 not the 60.

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
easy-no. cheap-no. If you are going to be doing serious wheeling, I say go for it. If your not, just light mudding or trail riding, using the truck as a truck pretty much, I say stick with the IFS. Go with a spindle lift up front, shackles or add-a-leaf out back. set of 35s, call it a day. Will be much easier and cheaper.

If you are going to be using the truck as a trail beater, then I say go all out and coilover the front. this will allow you to adjust where you want the truck to ride, how stiff it will ride, how muck travel it will have, and most sets out now are rebuildable.

Hope this helps.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't know anything about a SAS, but using parts from a 2wd might make things easier converting to coil springs for your swap. They were still coil spring, might be place to start. It might not help you at all, so in investigate it, but I thought I would throw that out there.

Aside from people throwing the 4x4 in while the wheels are spinning and breaking the shift fork, the IFS 4x4 system doesn't have too many problems.

wookie13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4 TRITON V-8
Transmission
Automatic
^^^ thank you all for the responses!:yahoo: Keep em comming!!!ok so I know that the swap will not be easy and cheap by any means. IMO I feel that w/ todays IFS the OEM's kinda "cheaped out" on the quality of the parts for the front end.{I.E sealed wheel bearing assemblies,CV shafts and the like}
the trucks of "yesteryear" seemed to be better "built" than todays IFS. I know that the 3/4 and 1 tons STILL use a SOILID axle on the front end. And I have heard that even light to moderate "wheeling" can break those CV axle shafts.This is the main reason that I am contemplating a SAS.

though I have been told that the FORD IFS front end is more STOUT than the GM twins or the Dodge trucks are.

I DO want to wheel my truck. Not so much mudding but some of the more diffacult trails. I have already wheeled my truck on the light stuff stock w/ some 33's and I want to get into some of those "remote" places to camp and such that could/will? have areas of terrian that could @#$#! up the IFS.

Would a D50 be ok on the front or should I step up to the D60? Did the newer F350's have a D60 up front?:icon_confused:

Last edited:

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
over on fullsizebronco people that use those axles usually make custom rad arms because the rad arms on those superdutys are huge and take up alot of ground clearance
thats all i can tell you about it

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
^^^ thank you all for the responses!:yahoo: Keep em comming!!!ok so I know that the swap will not be easy and cheap by any means. IMO I feel that w/ todays IFS the OEM's kinda "cheaped out" on the quality of the parts for the front end.{I.E sealed wheel bearing assemblies,CV shafts and the like}
the trucks of "yesteryear" seemed to be better "built" than todays IFS. I know that the 3/4 and 1 tons STILL use a SOILID axle on the front end. And I have heard that even light to moderate "wheeling" can break those CV axle shafts.This is the main reason that I am contemplating a SAS.

though I have been told that the FORD IFS front end is more STOUT than the GM twins or the Dodge trucks are.

I DO want to wheel my truck. Not so much mudding but some of the more diffacult trails. I have already wheeled my truck on the light stuff stock w/ some 33's and I want to get into some of those "remote" places to camp and such that could/will? have areas of terrian that could @#$#! up the IFS.

Would a D50 be ok on the front or should I step up to the D60? Did the newer F350's have a D60 up front?:icon_confused:
A Superduty front axle will still sport unit wheel bearings.

I have done light to moderate wheeling (IMO) with my '02 and it has been fine.

F-350's had D60's... and they will still have unit bearings as well.

wookie13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4 TRITON V-8
Transmission
Automatic
^ ok soo what does "moderate" wheeling mean to you? I'm curious!! There is a area by me that has a real rocky hill climb and some sharp jagged rocks that I want to try but some of the rocks are layin in a way that I'm afraid if I take the wrong line I'll rip a CV boot.

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Unit bearings were used in the old stuff too. My 9 inch has sealed bearings....

Rocks dont kill axles, drivers, tires, and lockers do. If you drive your truck offroad and are sensible with it, you should be fine with what I told you above.

If you are hell bent on swapping, then why even mess with the 50? Go straight for the 60. You are going to lose TONS of ride quality though with a SAS.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
^ ok soo what does "moderate" wheeling mean to you? I'm curious!! There is a area by me that has a real rocky hill climb and some sharp jagged rocks that I want to try but some of the rocks are layin in a way that I'm afraid if I take the wrong line I'll rip a CV boot.
Drivng around my grandfathers farm with a foot of snow on the ground. Ran over a couple little ceder trees (that grow like weeds) and ant mounds that were buried in the snow. Had some pretty good grades that added to the difficulty. Probably pretty mild for some but I had a lot of fun doing it, I have been in tougher stuff in my Ranger so it is moderate to me.

I haven't really looked at it for that purpose, but if I remember right it is set up so that really the only way something hard like a rock is going to get at your CV boot is to rip off your control arm first. Even then you can get a couple of the before you get a SD axle let alone put it in.

The ORP/ FX4 has a skidplate that goes from that big crossmember that ties everything together up front and might offer some protection for the front end... I imagine someone out there makes a beefier version.

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 501, 7.3psd, 351c, 351w
Transmission
Manual
If you plan to run coils up front find a front axle from a 05-up F250/F350 it will already be setup for coils

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you plan to run coils up front find a front axle from a 05-up F250/F350 it will already be setup for coils
I thought about that, but I wonder how the width would work out...

wookie13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4 TRITON V-8
Transmission
Automatic
Drivng around my grandfathers farm with a foot of snow on the ground. Ran over a couple little ceder trees (that grow like weeds) and ant mounds that were buried in the snow. Had some pretty good grades that added to the difficulty. Probably pretty mild for some but I had a lot of fun doing it, I have been in tougher stuff in my Ranger so it is moderate to me.

I haven't really looked at it for that purpose, but if I remember right it is set up so that really the only way something hard like a rock is going to get at your CV boot is to rip off your control arm first. Even then you can get a couple of the before you get a SD axle let alone put it in.

The ORP/ FX4 has a skidplate that goes from that big crossmember that ties everything together up front and might offer some protection for the front end... I imagine someone out there makes a beefier version.
I wish my truck was an FX4 but it is not:bawling: Ok since the "old" stuff uses unit bearings as well I guess I will not be gaining anything if I do a SAS. I was looking to get a RCD 4" lift next spring and I currently have 33" BFG a/t's that are only a year old. I am planning on going to 35's after the lift but I have to wait until the 33's wear out. Would a lift and my current 33's look stupid until I NEED to buy tires?:dunno:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well... I am running 32's (255/75-17) with 110% factory suspension and I think the wheel well clearance ratio is perfect, I think it would look goofy with 4" more lift.

Unless you really need the clearance I would wait until you need tires, or find a home for the ones you have.

I am waiting to stumble apoun a dead or dying OR or FX4 so I can scalp that skidplate. :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals