• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

rubbing with 31/10.5 tires

maxwell.hunt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
hello. i bought some gf goodrich radial a/t 31/10.5 tires for my 1992 ranger. i put in a 2 inch suspention lift and now when i crank my stearing my tire rubs the elbow part of the sway bar. any solutions that don't include yanking the sway bar. im 17 so i cant afford too much. thanks for the input

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
trust me, pull the sway bar, it will ride better

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
believe me, the sway bar doesn't really change the handling, either that or just ignore it, the only thing it'll do to the tires is round off the inside edge, the only thing the tires hit are round so it's safe, just sounds funny...

chrwilkins30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You could just live with it. never pulled mine of and no rubbing and no shinny spots on the swap. That's with stock suspension. If its really and issue just yank it.

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
believe me, the sway bar doesn't really change the handling, either that or just ignore it, the only thing it'll do to the tires is round off the inside edge, the only thing the tires hit are round so it's safe, just sounds funny...

Mine rode a lot better after it took it out, no longer maxing out the travel of the sway bar, it may not be as noticeable in a 2wd though

tanbuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Different offset wheels or a spacer. or the cheap and best way remove the bar. Or just dont turn the steering wheel so far

maxwell.hunt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
so what could possibly happen if i yank the sway bar? because its obviously there for a reason? im looking into spacers also but i heard they are bad on wheel bearings. are there any after market sway bars you can buy?

maxwell.hunt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
also i notice with the 15 inch rim the tire code is alot different than those over 15 inches. does the 15 inch rim have a wider tire? like if i go to a 16 will it be thinner?

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
It would be alot more expensive to switch rims and tires than it would be to buy a spacer. Spacers are bad when you go big, like 2". If you go small to just barely clear the sway bar you should be fine. But I'd remove the whole bar IMO. You'll get better flex, smoother ride, and you can scare the crap out of passengers with all that body roll haha. I removed the front and rear sway bar and noticed a huge difference off road

Last edited:

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You'll get used to it. My 33's rub like crazy on my radius arms. Really bugged me at first but now I hardly notice it unless a passenger says "oh my god, what is that noise?" Hasn't hurt the tires at all either cuz it's such a smooth surface, just like the sway bar.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals