• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rough idle on 3.0L 2001 Edge

Kosh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3L
Transmission
Manual
It first started as a CEL with no specific code, just -ignition-. And the reader used was a basic unit which only displayed codes and reset the light. So I thought 'time to look into the spark plugs and wires'. I read in another post that the original spark plugs had 2 and 3 letters (CG, CGM?) so I checked the plugs and yes, they had the letters. So the original Motorcraft plugs lasted 130k and gained a .020 extra gap. Not bad considering our nice 'Canadian' weather. I went to the Canadian tire (opened on sundays), got some equivalent plugs, changed them and all seemed good.

Nyet.

3 hours later on the road, the motor jerks like it's trying to rip itself off the Ranger and the CEL blinks than stays on then blinks then...

So I though (fuuuuuuuuu...) bad plugs, got one which imploded in a cylinder. I go back home, check the plugs, they are all good. So I started cleaning the MAF and the throttle body. Still ran rough. Checked for disconnected wires/hoses, the usual things we do. I didn't find a thing.

Took the truck to the dealer yesterday.

The verdict just came back, Coil pack coil #1 went on permanent vacation. The part costs $178.00 and I asked them to also change the spark plug wires out of security (about $75.00).

I expected the dealer to mentien the camshaft position sensor or some other sensor. The dealer told me that the camshaft position sensor rarely fails 'up here'.

I'll change the fuel fillter when I get the truck back.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals