• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rough idle every once in a while

crsevns90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
New here and I have a '98 2.5 Ranger with 56,000 miles. I just changed all plugs and wires, and installed a new IAC valve. My problem is that once in awhile while the truck is ideling it will shake like a misfire and drop about 200 rpm's. Happens at stoplights too once in awhile and it gets very annoying! Suggestions? Any help is appreciated!:)

Vonrak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
try having your alternator checked, mine was having a sputter like that and had my alt tested . found out the regulator/rectifer was bad. Put a new alt on and now it runs great.

Vonrak

68Ranger390

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
it sounds like a EGR valve that is opening or sticking open intermitally,
when at idle open the EGR valve with your finger or put vaccuum on the fitting to see if that causes the same symptom

crsevns90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I tested the egr valve and no change. It is operating the way it should. When I am watching the engine idle I can see it shake a little about every 10 seconds, other than that it idles smooth as can be. When I hold the rpm's at about 2000 there is no misfire or anything, and again it runs very smooth. Anything else I should look for? Thanks!

68Ranger390

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
did your problem begin after your tune up? if so clean and gap your old plugs and try that,,, also I have seen a fuel pressure regulator that dripped a drop of fuel on occasion and cause a flooding miss that cleared up as soon as the drop of fuel was burned, and wasnt noticeable above an idle,,,,

skyking

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Try the mass airflow sensor. Mine was giving me fits. I have a 98 2.5 with 89,000 miles on it. Finally figured this was the problem. Disconnected it "before" I started it up. Ran smooth just like nothing was wrong. So I put a new MAF sensor in. Runs very well now. Thought some one from this website would of new of this problem. Kind of disappointed. Oh well, I figured it out. Good luck

exigent

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Is it you a/c kicking in? Dont forget it runs when you have the defog/defrost on too. If that is the case Id bet the ac needs service.

jobar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
x2 when my a/c is on my truck drops about 300 rpm and picks back up about 7 sec. interveals. Thats at idel, when I turn the a/c off it runs like a champ. Its gotten to the point where I cant drive with the a/c on or the truck shuts off while driving.

tylerh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
there is a tsb for the idle on the 2.5 there is a idle kit available from ford just google ford ranger 2.5 low idle and it should come up

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals