• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rich problem 2011 XL 2.3L

Richard1316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
My truck is a 2011 2.3 ranger

I'm still kind of a noob when it comes to working on vehicles. I am an HVAC technician by trade though so I am naturally mechanically inclined and need help determining what my next repairs should be. Not the type of person just trying to save a dollar by working on my vehicle myself I just would really like to learn more about working on vehicles. Sure I'll screw some things up along the way but that's the price ill have to pay.

The past month or so I would get a check engine light (P0172 Rich code) that would pop on every now and then. This whole time I've been noticing that the truck would start fine in the mornings and after work, but as soon as I pulled onto the road and gave it a little gas it would lose all power and then steadily get it back as I drove for the next minute or two. Now the past few days I have been noticing that same lack of power when getting going, but furthermore, the truck is now taking probably 6-7 seconds of turning over to get it going (the prolonged turning over only seems to happen after it's been driven for a while and sits in the off position for about 10-15 minutes or so) I checked the fuel pressure at the rail and it's running about 83 psi or so, which I understand is not normal. I also found that when it is taking forever to turn over, the fuel pressure will start out barely pushing about 5 psi or so and slowly move up to about 15-20 psi and then all of the sudden it shoots straight up to 80 once fired up. One other thing I have noticed is that my engine is taking quite a while to get up to temp, especially with the heat on.
My code reader does not have live data, but when I pulled the code it displayed the STFT at -3.1 % and LTFT at -23.4%

So far what I've done:
  • Change fuel filter
  • Changed all spark plugs
  • Found oil on the two of the plugs so I changed the valve cover gasket
  • Intake manifold gasket kit for the plenum
  • I have ordered a new thermostat but it will be Monday before it gets here
  • Ohmed through all injectors and each one was exactly the same (11.8 if I'm remembering correctly) of course that's not to say one of them or multiple are not restricted as I did not check this.

What should I do next?

I was thinking maybe I have a bad fuel pressure regulator or pump but none of the stores had one in stock, and I also thought maybe I should change out my injectors or run some seafoam through the system to be safe also. Lastly, I thought I may pick up some new 02 sensors. Both appear to be working at the moment. I believe system 1 one was at about 7 and the second somewhere around 3.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you guys for reading

Attachments

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
83psi is 20 over normal so there's your problem. The pump is throwing way to much fuel into the engine. The fuel pressure regulator is part of the fuel pump on that year so it's just replaced as one assembly. Do the fuel filter while your at it.

Do not buy anything but a motorcraft pump or you will be changing it again in 6 months.

Richard1316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Man, I was really hoping for anything but that lol Is their not anyway that you can just buy the motor and regulator themselves and replace them like you could on earlier years or would it be best to just replace the whole assembly you think?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I've only seen the motor sold individually on aftermarket chinese pumps. The motorcraft one comes as a complete assembly.

Richard1316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah that's what I'm seeing on the auto parts stores website. Maybe I'll get lucky and they will have a black Friday deal lol
Thanks for the help man, I sure appreciate it. Happy thanksgiving!

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Check amazon. I've seen them pretty cheap there once in a while.

This is about 50% off normal price... not sure it's the right one for your truck (it's the one for my 09 2.3)

Richard1316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Sweet man thanks for the heads up. I just actually ordered my stat on there. Maybe I can get them on the same day. I'll check it out

Richard1316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Just checked and it does fit my truck. The one you sent on Amazon has the regulator on it like you said right? Or do I need to buy that seperately?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
All one assembly. Just drop it in and go. The only other 2 parts of the fuel system are the filter and the dampener.

Richard1316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Awesome thanks for the info! I hope I can make it that long before it comes in

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals