• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Resurface rotors - Anything else?

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
So I just ordered some ceramic pads. With the rotors, either getting them resurface (probable) or replaced (depending on their condition). My question is is there anything else I should check or looked at while the rotors are off? 99 4wd 4.0L automatic

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
So I just ordered some ceramic pads. With the rotors, either getting them resurface (probable) or replaced (depending on their condition). My question is is there anything else I should check or looked at while the rotors are off? 99 4wd 4.0L automatic
check for play in the unit wheel bearing in the spindle, and check the cv boots on the axles for tears or dry rot.

don't forget to clean and lube the caliper slide bolts with good brake grease too!!!

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Ya I put some stop squeak in my caliper slide bolts lol. Better then nothing. My front end is finally 90% fixed and back to stock except my front drive shaft... I suspect a pinion seal is causing leak since it's right from where it connects to diff.

Last edited:

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Ya I put some stop squeak in my caliper slide bolts lol. Better then nothing. My front end is finally 90% fixed and back to stop except my front drive shaft... I suspect a pinion seal is causing leak since it's right from where it connects to diff.
isnt the stop squeak stuff sticky? if so get that off the slide bolts, and use brake grease.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I know... Lol. I shoulda used the grease from my grease gun at a minimum... Its easy to change so... I guess I will soon... Lol

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
I know... Lol. I shoulda used the grease from my grease gun at a minimum... Its easy to change so... I guess I will soon... Lol

just stop at autozone, they sell brake grease in a little one use packet for like a dollar or two, pull the pins, clean them up real good, and grease them up. don't use regular grease, the heat will dry it up and cause the caliper to hang up , much like that stop squeal is going to do

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals