• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacing head gasket but...

karaoke_carlos

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
What risks would I be running if I:

1) Didn't replace head bolts?

2) Did a visual inspection but didn't replace the heads themselves?

Thanks!

C:>

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
You need to replace the head bolts. They are torque to yeild, meaning that they stretch when torqued. You are not supposed to use them again, and they will cause the gasket to blow again.

As for the heads.....you can usually see the cracks on 4.0 with the naked eye. Take a wire brush and clean away any rust, etc. Check between the intake and exhaust valve especially.

As a word of warning, I was just talking to the machine shop yesterday. The OEM heads are very prone to cracking, and from the 200+ 4.0 engines he's checked, only 6 had 2 good heads.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
What risks would I be running if I:

1) Didn't replace head bolts?

2) Did a visual inspection but didn't replace the heads themselves?

Thanks!

C:>
The risk? Having to do it all over again because you didn't fix the problem.

With reusing head bolts, you run the somewhat remote risk that you might break one in the block and have a bitch of a time getting it out, and the much more substantial risk that the clamping force is going to be wrong.

Both of these are foolhardy. A head set is nearly $200 just for gaskets. If you want to waste that, send it to me. I could use it. And you'll have the same results -- a problem that is not fixed.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, like MAKG said, they can break too.....

gotmudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
390C.I
Transmission
Automatic
You need to replace the head bolts. They are torque to yeild, meaning that they stretch when torqued. You are not supposed to use them again, and they will cause the gasket to blow again.

As for the heads.....you can usually see the cracks on 4.0 with the naked eye. Take a wire brush and clean away any rust, etc. Check between the intake and exhaust valve especially.

As a word of warning, I was just talking to the machine shop yesterday. The OEM heads are very prone to cracking, and from the 200+ 4.0 engines he's checked, only 6 had 2 good heads.
The risk? Having to do it all over again because you didn't fix the problem.

With reusing head bolts, you run the somewhat remote risk that you might break one in the block and have a bitch of a time getting it out, and the much more substantial risk that the clamping force is going to be wrong.

Both of these are foolhardy. A head set is nearly $200 just for gaskets. If you want to waste that, send it to me. I could use it. And you'll have the same results -- a problem that is not fixed.
:c-n: ............... :c-n: ................................. :icon_confused: ,WTF, oh, oh yeah, i with these guys, specially MAKG, you want to blow 200 bucks send it my way. get new gaskets, get new bolts, and if you have to ask whether it's a good idea or not you had better have your head(s) checked too otherwise if you insist on not, then post a vid so everyone else can have a laugh :taunt: sorry man, i call 'em straight.

fireman1749

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ford dealer is doing mine and had the heads worked and said all was good with them and are putting new bolts in so

shizzy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
how much would a shop charge to check out the heads? I prefer to only do a head gasket once (if at all)

karaoke_carlos

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I went home at lunch and did a quick check. It appears the point is moot. At least one of the heads is cracked, not surprisingly in the same spot where the Head Gasket failed. This is between the front and middle cylinders on the Passenger (right hand) side. So I guess I'm off to buy new heads.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well, I went home at lunch and did a quick check. It appears the point is moot. At least one of the heads is cracked, not surprisingly in the same spot where the Head Gasket failed. This is between the front and middle cylinders on the Passenger (right hand) side. So I guess I'm off to buy new heads.
That's only one of the points.

Don't reuse your head bolts.

karaoke_carlos

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
yeah. New bolts are on their way. I actually have a set, but they gave me the 3.0 bolts instead of the 4.0, so I have to exchange.

Thanks for your help!

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
get the new heads and it will save you money down the road. im replacing mine since this is my second time having them crack. now im going with new castings fully assembled from kingcylinderhead for 208 fully asssembled each

fireman1749

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
$1586.16 the final price for a head gasket and a tensioner pully

mlunsford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Off Road
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I just did my heads (each head had a crack in the front pistions). Kingclinder head (actually shipped Alabama heads) Felpro gaskets (get the good set with the rubber valve cover gaskets). Replaced water pump/hoses/thermo, head bolts, all said and done about $750 in parts. 5 hours to take apart, couple of weekends to put back together nice and clean. AutoRock has pretty good prices on most stuff. Hardest part was getting fan clutch off.

eric17

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
dont bother with head bolts, buy head studs. and how do these so commonly go out, my 4.0L has 263k on it, never had one problem beside the valve chatter, hopeing to quick fix that here soon.

ps if you want to save alot of money, just find a donor motor at a junk yard, they usually always have a few and half the time if your like me something with 150k on it isnt bad at all. that is if you can install it yourself, its not really hard at all.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals