• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Removing Sway Bar

FX4OffRoad1992

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
this question may have already been answered, but I can't seem to find any threads that answer it... Does removing the sway bar really make a truck ride better? I know my tires used to rub on the sway bar and people suggested removing it.. but then others talked about body roll if you remove it... I have a 3" BL on my truck, could this be dangerous if I remove them?:icon_confused: any answers or help would be appreciated! thanks in advance

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I removed mine with 33s 3" body lift and 2" suspension lift. it rode way nicer. if you went back and forth at highway speed it got a littler squirllie but you get used to it. i have 6" sus and3" body lift, and i think im gonna take it back off.

FX4OffRoad1992

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
by back and forth at highway speed do you mean like daily driving it, or do you mean like jerking the wheel back and forth at highway speed?

Lrpalo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
He mean abrupt maneuvers will cause the body to dive. I pulled my sway bars, and its was a little wobbly at first like on on ramps but you figure out how to drive it. Then I got my James Duff shock hoops and added Rancho 9000x remote resi shocks where you can adjust then stiffness and with them tightened up you dont even notice that there is no sway bars then open up the valves off road. If you have the stock shocks im guessing it will be floppy. If you dont do a lot of wheeling then you dont need to go out and dump 300+ on a pair of shocks just upgrade to even a heavier duty shock it should should take a lot of the roll away and wont break the bank.

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
by back and forth at highway speed do you mean like daily driving it, or do you mean like jerking the wheel back and forth at highway speed?
I wouldn't do it on your truck, you have the ifs which rides much differently than ttb, these guys all have ttb which if you had it I would recommend taking off the sway bar, but since ifs......I would leave it on.

Lrpalo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
True ^^^^
Forgot about that

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
mine are staying on my truck for sure. only a 2 inch body lift, but carrying an extra 27 gallons of gas in the aux tank, spare tire and tools in the bed, and pulling my camper, the last thing i need is "squirrley" on any road at any speed.
but that's just me.

devinhal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have the ifs on my '99 Ranger and I removed my sway bar. The ride is great at slower speeds and wheeling. You can tell a huge difference turning at even speeds around 25mph. But when you drive through large cities like Denver, I drive throught there on my way to school, things have a habbit of getting interesting. Specially if you have to make quick manuvers. It is true that you get used to driving the vehicle and you learn to be careful. I made a hard turn on an overpass one day and my truck spun clear around. It depends on how you use your truck and how you drive. If I had it to do again I would have left it on. But my dad and I share a saying, "If it isn't broke... Work on stuff till it is".

FX4OffRoad1992

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
so don't remove them because i have the a-arm front end? i don't understand how that would matter as the twin traction beam front suspension is still technically IFS. but i've never really driven a ranger with TTB to know if they ride different... can someone explain this to me?

devinhal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The TTB handles way different than a IFS when stock and even more differently when they are modified. The IFS is way to wild without a sway bar. If you use your Ranger as a DD then you sure don't want to change your onroad handling. Its not worth it. Trust me.

jrs86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
take it off and if you dont like put back on

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
easier yet, just remove one end link and drive around for a while, don't like it, put it back on, easier than taking the whole bar off...

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
TTB is IFS, but its really a hybrid of a solid and IFS. So its not truly one or the other.

On a TTB rig I'd say yank the sway bar and be done with it. You will love the way it rides.

On an IFS truck, don't do it, usually is more trouble than its worth. For some reason IFS trucks without a swaybar are very squirlley.

FX4OffRoad1992

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
alright i will keep them on then! thanks for the help guys!

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
I removed mine over a year ago and am quite happy with the choice.

As was mentioned, remove 1 link; if you don't like the way it feels, put it back on.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals