• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Removing catt's and putting in stright pipe questions

Southenrfirewood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am thinking about removing the catts and replacing them with stright pipe. :icon_welder: what will that sound like with the stock muffler? Iv been heavily involved with truck pulls and im looking for some more power. Iv got this F-150 I havent been able to pull hahhahhaha :bawling:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Don't bother, Ranger cats are properly sized for the engines, not to mention on a '98 you will get several codes for doing that. I ran the stock 2.3L cat behind a 2.3L Turbo pushing 50% more power than stock and it ran just fine...

Southenrfirewood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Would it sound good and you don't think it would give it anymore pop? The shop that said they would do it told me they have a dummy sensor I guess that will keep it from getting a code

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Oh how I grow tired of this topic....

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57083

Removing catalytic converters will not yield you any more power/torque whatever....plain and simple as long as the cat is functioning properly.

You should tell this shop that it is illegal as hell to remove functioning emissions components....

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Is this one of those trick threads. It is illegal to remove the cat/s. It is a federal law the cat must be there on any vehicle that came stock with one. You can however gut it it dont have to work just be there for a visual. Unless you need to pass emissions the epa wants to test all vehicles new and old nation wide. Vote obama that will happen.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So lets recap...

Removing the cat is a violation of federal law, which could result in big fines and/or a trip to the big house with bars on the windows.

It is NOT a performance increase anyway. Unless maybe you are building a top-fuel dragster. The only possible way it could improve performance is if your cat is clogged up - and even at that you would be farther ahead to REPLACE the cat.

In fact, some vehicles actually run worse when you remove restriction from the exhaust. My F-150 is a prime example: My exhaust rotted through by the muffler and it took a couple days of running around (I had needed to use the truck at the time) with no muffler (and no exhaust past the cat) before I could get a new muffler and tailpipe on it. Performance did not increase, but the noise it made did. And my fuel economy went DOWN by 2 mpg. I tossed a Flowmaster 40 series on it and had a local shop bend up some 2.5" pipe to go out the side in front of the back tire and even with that low restriction exhaust, it was enough to make my fuel economy go back where it was.

I also know of a guy who had a plugged up cat on an F-250 who tried punching out the cat instead of spending the money to replace it... He lost 3 mpg (from 10 mpg down to 7 mpg - yea, it was a 460 motor). He also started having a major problem with backfires - enough that it split his exhaust - the expensive stainless one he had. Needless to say, it has a new cat now - he says it was an expensive mistake and if he ever sees the person who recommended punching the cat out and "it woln't hurt anything" he will punch them in the nose.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it's a waste of time, waste of money, and if i'm not mistaken, an issue that has gotten several people banned off of this forum...

it's one of those "we don't put up with blatant disregard for the environment" type issues

and to rebut to what lil blue said about the top fuel dragster, honestly, if the cats were sized properly, i don't see them causing any harm to them... though with how precisely they are designed, i doubt there is much unburnt fuel coming out the exhaust

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
it's one of those "we don't put up with blatant disregard for the environment" type issues
This is the main reason that I try to obey this law, I want to leave some breathable air for my children. I know that there are major corporations and countries spewing out way more pollutants than all the drivers in North America but I have to try.

i doubt there is much unburnt fuel coming out the exhaust
Best power comes from richer than stoichemetric[sp].

Richard

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i doubt this will get locked... no one is arguing, the op hasn't posted back up claiming he doesn't care...

Bondo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 3.0
Transmission
Manual
Is this one of those trick threads. It is illegal to remove the cat/s. It is a federal law the cat must be there on any vehicle that came stock with one. You can however gut it it dont have to work just be there for a visual. Unless you need to pass emissions the epa wants to test all vehicles new and old nation wide. Vote obama that will happen.
The cats do have to work, so gutting them is just as bad as removing them. If someone lives in a state that does emissions testing theres no sense trying to get around running a functioning cat. Maine doesnt test for emissions, so its more lenient up here. My firewood buggy BII has no cats, but is only run in the woods for 10 miles a year.

You are aware catalytic converters became government-mandated equipment in 1972 during the Nixon administration, right? Hell, the EPA was Nixons idea, so I dont see why Obama is mentioned in this.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
i doubt this will get locked... no one is arguing, the op hasn't posted back up claiming he doesn't care...
Per the link Sasquatch posted:

Threads or posts advising removal of the catalytic converter may be locked or removed.
I guess may suggests it might not be. I originally read it as a fo' sho' thing.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah, until i read you italisizing the may, i didn't even notice that word in samsquanch's post

dhinch279

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

Just in case...

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Bottom line rulings:

• Keep the catalytic converter.
  • You will not gain additional power (even with the "shop's dummy sensor".
  • It will not sound any better. Straight pipes are too raspy and you'll sound like Riced Honda.

End thread.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals