• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Remember the GMC Syclone? I want to build a Ranger version.

zx1206

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
GMC once made an S15 with a turbo AWD V6 with a 4 speed automatic.

I'd like to build something similar but with a 93-95 Ranger.

I've searched around this site and most people hate the idea of a lowered 4WD.

My current car is unbelievably traction limited, that's part of my reason for this build.

Emissions laws in my state tighten on cars built after 1995 so my Ranger is going to be 1993-95, since I like the aero Mustang GT front end that comes on them.

I plan to swap a Mustang or Explorer 5.0 with an AWD box from an Excursion so that the truck can be 2wd for towing but AWD for playing and 4wd for snow.

Will the ball joint pieces that the 4wd guys use to correct big lifts work to correct a lowered TB axle?

Can the TTB axle be lowered or do I need a SAS?

Can I airbag the truck to gain a little clearance when required with a TTB?

Any help would be appreciated. I have searched around and I can't find anyone who has done something like this. I have found twin turbo LS1 Syclones which are awesome.

MAranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245c.i.
Transmission
Manual
The ball joint relocation could be used to lower the truck. I'd be worried about how the D35 axleshafts would hold up under power and at higher speed when the the joint is operating at the angle you've put back into the beam for camber correction. I think you should post in the fabrication forum, you'd get alot more help there. SAS would be impossible to gain a drop in ride height because of the engine x-member. There is no reason I see you couldn't bag a ttb.

nismotunedgtr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A newer IFS would be choice....

I couldnt see running a D35 in 4x4 all the time. That's madness. Maybe an AWD Explorer drivetrain swap??

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
front suspension from an AWD Aerostar.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Lowered SAS, no way. A minimum of 6" lift is needed to clear the engine crossmember, you can get away with 4" with some trimming.

Lowered D35 TTB, I'm practical, even with airbags. Lowering more than an inch would get you way more acquainted with Mr. Bumpstop than anyone could handle.

Excursion T-case in a lowered Ranger, no way. That t-case requires custom frame work to fit in a 4x4 with it clocked at the normal angle. Trying to clock it up so it doesn't drag the ground in a lowered Ranger, no way it'll fit between the frame rail.

Your best option,
Get an AWD Exploder with a 5.0 in it. Yank the body, put the older Ranger body on it the chassis, put a turbo or two on it and call it a day.

I've driven a Saleen XP8 (supercharged 5.0 awd Explorer), It's an awesome ride. If you were to build something similar with a ranger body on it you would get exactly what your looking for.

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A friend and I talked of this once. Here is what we thought... First and foremost. The front TTB isn't going to make it in its stock configuration. So, in our beer induced conversation, we thought cutting the engine crossmember out and raising it in the frame about 3" would be the trick. Next, no way around it, but the frame where the bump stops are will need to be notched. How much, we didn't decide.

As for a tcase, the NV242 like in my ZJ would work, as it has fulltime and partime 4x4 as well as 4x2 and 4x4lo. It can handle the horses of the Dodge 318 OK. There is a HD version of the 242, which I think is actually in the H1 Hummers.

Thinking semi-rationally, replace the factory crossmember with a tubular member, replicate the TTB mounts though higher up, and make new brackets (not lift brackets but shorter than stock). You could get away with leaving the coil buckets in place, using shorter springs, but if you have to notch the frame anyway, add a hoop for mounting shorter coilovers.

Or, as mentioned use the IFS front parts...

How much fabwork are you willing to do, or able to do?

zx1206

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Good info on the NV242. I friend had a Jeep Wagon thing, Limited or something it said on it. It was 2003 or 2004 with a V8 and AWD. It launched! It is exactly what I am trying to build except with a pickup bed. After searching the HD NV242 doesn't seem to have 2wd options.

I don't know if I am being clear here, I'm not trying to lay frame with this truck. I'd like it to sit around the height of a 2wd Ranger or maybe slightly lower. I'd like to run 17inch or maybe larger rims with low profile tires.

The truck's purpose would be primarily daily driver with V8 that can do occasional burnouts, multiple AWD (bang head off back glass) launches, haul engines, motorcycles and junk in it, tow a car every now and then, and once or twice a year get me out of my snowed in gravel driveway. I'll probably add air ride but not in the way the lowrider guys do. I'd use it to lift up to 4WD height to drag dritbikes into the woods and maybe air them out to load the bikes.

In the photo section on this site there is a black stepside single cab, ranger missing the fenders. It has 17 5 spoke mustang rims. I think it is a 2wd but it has exactly the stance I'm looking for.

I'm not opposed to the Explorer cab swap. Seems like I'd gain ABS, better front axle, easy V8 swap, etc. What size Ranger fits on an Explorer frame. Is it the short bed single cab? I guess I need to search a little on the Explorer frame swap. I don't know how much work is involved with that.

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't know how the Jeep NV242 would handle AWD pavement launches, but there are plenty of them in the junkyards. The Grands with the AWD don't have 2WD (NV247 and NV249). My 242 in my ZJ has 2WD, Fulltime 4WD, Part time 4WD and 4 Lo. I have towed another Jeep in Fulltime before, as well as a bunch of things in 2WD.

I didn't expect you wanted to lay frame on this, but with the TTB you will have some cutting to do if you want it to sit a little lower than a 2WD. My friend and I had our discussion while I had the cab off the truck and no springs under the front, so we moved the arms around a bit. Remember the TTB arms are thicker/taller than the 2WD arms are.

Without looking at the IFS trucks, I am curious how low you can go with it before running into CV shaft angles that are going to break shafts in a lowered attitude.

I'm an oddball, I like your idea here... I wanted a 4x4 Pathfinder back in the early 90s with a 300ZX twin turbo motor. Didn't happen. Couldn't get the front low enough to get what I wanted and I wasn't into making things then.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I'd personally ditch TTB for a lowered 4x4(AWD).

I'd get a RANGER SLA frame and suspension.

The SLA would be MUCH more friendly to AWD.

zx1206

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
The SLA axle seems perfect, it's almost exactly what the Syclone came with. The question is do I try to swap an SLA into a 93-95 frame (hard I think) or buy an Explorer frame and swap a Ranger body onto it? I can't find any websites where someone has swapped a Ranger body onto an Explorer frame. I assume there were no SLA Rangers built at the factory.

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
Well, here's a thought... The 4-door Explorers have a wheelbase of 111.5", and an 83-97 regular cab long box Ranger is 113.9"
SO, my thought is... depending of course on your fab skills... buy a rolled Explorer, or equivalent cheap Explorer, and find a first, 2nd or 3rd gen long box Ranger to swap the body onto! If you got real lucky, you might be able to find an Explorer (or Mountaineer!) with a 5.0 in it already. Just take the Ranger box and shorten it the 2.5" you need. So in theory... I don't know if it would apply, but having an older body on the newer chassis might get you around emissions. I don't know though, I don't have to deal with that up here. Like I said, this kind of depends on A) what you already have, and B) what you're willing to spend.

v8nick

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I want to do something like this with my Ranger, but it is an extracab shortbed so i am assuming it is to long too just swap the body over. Is there any chance a person could lengthen the explorer frame or just cut the rear of the two frames and then weld the rear of the ranger frame to the rest of the explorer frame? that would give me the length I need.

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends

logicgear

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3/4
i was just thinking while reading. is the Aerostar a unibody or is it a frame van? either way couldn't you graph the ranger and aerostar togeather/ my buddys parents have the AWD Aerostar and it has just about the same stants as my lower first gen (3-2 1/2 drop). it would just about be perfect. and if it is a frame van it wouldn't be to hard to do the body swap and a v8 swap. just about the same as doing a sway in the ranger right......

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
An Aerostar is actually a unibody design, although you could probably use the suspension from one. Never thought of that, good idea! Shows how much I read...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals