• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Relieving fuel pressure by disconnected inertia switch

600$04Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt 4wd 4.0L V6
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5
My credo
Mandates are for fascist dictators!
Changed my fuel filter today. First time since I rebuilt the engine around 15,000 miles ago. Previous owner had deleted inertia switch and just twisted the two wires for the switch together. I haven't gotten around to finding a new switch and mostly forget that it needs one because it runs fine without it. However, I should probably get one and lessen my chances of being burned alive in an accident.

Anyways, I disconnected the wires and cranked the engine to supposedly relieve pressure before removing the old filter. Engine cranked and started a few times but sounded like it wasn't getting much fuel so I turned off the key and went ahead with the removal. Quite a bit more fuel poured our of the lines than I imagined (maybe a few cups) but finally stopped. After new filter went in I reconnected inertia switch and it started right up. Ran great as usual. Does anyone know if it's normal for the engine to start after the inertia switch wires are disconnected or do I need to be aware of some future or current issue with fuel system? Anyone have a similar experience changing fuel filter?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Disconnecting the inertia switch only disables the fuel pump, there is still residual pressure in the system so the engine can still start and run for a short period. The easier way to relieve the pressure on the system is to simply press the Schrader valve on the fuel rail (put a rag over it and press the pin with a screw driver or pick). And fuel will always come out when changing the filter. The lines, rail, dampener, and filter itself all hold a bunch of fuel plus there is a bit of a siphon effect since the fuel filter is below the fuel level in the tank. Nothing you can do will stop fuel from spilling out when you disconnect the filter, you just want to relieve the pressure so it doesn't spray out at 65psi...

600$04Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt 4wd 4.0L V6
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5
My credo
Mandates are for fascist dictators!
Thanks Dirtman! That's what I figured. Except my fuel rail doesn't have the Schrader valve. It has a metal quick connection that I probably could use to clear some of the fuel and also relieve some of that siphoning effect you mentioned. Then probably should have captured whatever else came out of the 3 lines connected to the filter in a container instead of wasting it. Especially with $4 gallon gas prices these days:(

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
the engine will stall when the fuel pressure gets down to 15-20 psi.
which means there will still be 15-20 psi of fuel pressure in the lines after it runs out of fuel.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals