• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Regearing

tsanderson7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
i am going to regear my ranger so it has an easier time turning either 32s or 33s. I have 32s on it now with stock gears and it has a hell of a time turning them. It is an 89 xlt with a 2.9. I'm considering swapping in either 4.56s or 4.88s. Which would serve best? And where can I buy these Online? And what prices would I be looking at if I had it professionally installed? Thanks

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
auto-- 4.88's
manual-- 4.56's maybe....

maybe consider a 8.8/d35 swap then regear

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
as yours is a dd, i'd stick with the 4.56 gears. good all around driving characteristics and will get the most out of your 2.9. for the money, i'd shop around for a GOOD set of used gears and that may leave enough left over for a locker in the rear as well. shop here on TRS in the classifieds tab, ebay, craig's list, local paper, etc. for new, stay here on TRS and shop the parts tab.
installation isn't cheap. figure anywhere between $500-1000 depending on the shop. i had mine done with a locker put in the rear for about $650 and thought it was a pretty good deal really for both axles and locker. my gear sets were new, but the detroit locker was used at less than half the cost of new.
good luck with your build!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals