• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recommend me a dirtbike

03ranger30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Kinda interested in getting back into riding. I want something that can ride trails and do some moto as well, I was thinking something along the lines of a yz-250f.

I am about 6 feet tall and weigh around 200 pounds, if that helps.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
I think the 250f will be fun and appealing to you for maybe 6 months. Once you get used to riding I think you'll find it slow and underpowered (boring). Personally, I love 2 strokes... but if you're interested in 4 strokes I would look for a 450cc bike. They still have an easy powerband for beginners and have enough umph for later when you gain experience.

03ranger30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
The thing I don't like about 2 strokes is the mixing the gas, I know it sounds lazy, but I just don't like doing it. I also don't like 2 strokes because they aren't really that good for the trails since they like higher rpm.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Then I would look for a 450 bike. Have you ridden dirt bikes before? You may want to straddle one and see how it feels.

03ranger30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Had a TTR-125L for like five years, but mostly rode it when I was younger, never rode it anymore, and I sold it. I know that doesn't really compare to a 450 or anything like that.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Most guys lack manuvering skills of a dirt bike rather than handling the power. If you've ridden a dirt bike before then the hardest part is over (learning to stay on it lol). The 450s have a smooth predictable powerband. You're only going to go as fast as you twist. The advantage is you have more twist once you get used to it. With a 250 4 stroke you'll find it has plenty of mid range (great when you're learning as this is the part of the powerband you use) but it'll wheez on top. All in all, the 450 will be easier to ride, have more grunt for trails, and be able to have fun when you demand it.

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
He's right. Its not the power its the ability to ride. Anyone can go fast in a straight line...its just twisting the throttle. I've always been a fan of Honda's so this is my current one...

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
no honda IMO, don't ask if you're a die hard honda fan... b/c its ford v chevy... just an arguement that never ends..

and i agree w/ what's mentioned above.. 250 2-stroke... seriously.

or 450 4-stroke.

gjm4l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
I gotta vote honda anything cause they're pretty well indestructible and easy to maintain. Go XR for stone cold reliable and tough but heavy/slow compared to race type bikes. If your looking for "I wanna go fast power" I vote CRF250X. Unless you ride in open areas you'll rarely be able to uncork a 450 in the woods (unless your at pro type levels) modern 250's are plenty strong, and they are lighter and therefore much more "flickable" through most trail-type situations. 450's are TRACTORS when your talking sheer power to the ground. But a skilled rider on a 250 can keep up with a skilled rider on a 450 until room opens up for the 450 rider to use the 200cc displacement bump to their advantage until then the 450 rider has to work harder to keep their heavier, brute of a bike upright while the 250 rider is in the meat of his/her power on a lighter easier to handle bike.

Plenty of people go for the 450 because they will NEVER run out of power, but very few ever utilize it all because you gotta build up the skill to do so and thats honestly hard as hell on a bike that can jerk you off the back of it any time you twist the throttle off lol.

I hear these arguments all the time and naturally everybody WANTS all that power but you have to ask yourself will you utilize it? Of course if you do start realizing your blazing through that set of braking bumps in 3rd gear pinned into the uphill turn before that 100ft natural double in the middle of the woods but you don't have the grunt to clear the jump then maybe you do need that 450 power:icon_thumby::icon_thumby: Also a 250 smoker with a bigger rear sprocket in the woods can be alot of fun too lol

Oh and 'yota LOVE the XR

Last edited:

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would also agree with Honda anything.

And like he said about most people will NEVER use the full potential of the bike. Just like street bikes...

But, if money is a problem I would go with an XR. If not go crf or yzf or anything you like. Doesn't really matter.

Last edited:

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Go with a bigger 4 stroke cc....400 or more. XR's are great and the ride is great as well. I am 6 foot 1 and weigh 200 lbs. The smaller bikes are fun (250 cc) but once you learn to handle it....you will want a bigger bike. So go big and take it easy for awhile and then let her loose. Enduro's are cool. You can ride them to where you want to trail ride. You can ride them to work as well.

Endoverend47

November 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l turbo
Transmission
Manual
ktm 200xc if your doing mostly trail, and moto. i have one that has taken a beating. 5 hare scramble and enduro race seasons. takes a beating and keeps on going...but then again I'm kinda bias toward 2strokes....i hate 4stroke dirt bikes, oh and my ktm has never fouled a plug

nb11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
If you're too lazy to mix gas, don't buy a dirt bike lol. 4 strokes cost a ton more to maintain. You're a little heavy for a 250f, so you'd be winding it out all the time. And actually, 4-strokes aren't meant to be lugged around, and you'll hit the rev limiter sooner on a 2-stroke than you will on a 4-stroke.

Now, if you're dead-set on a 4-stroke, get a 450f. Sure, you'll never use all the power it has unless your last name is Stewart and your friends call you Bubba. But 450's don't need to be wrung out as much as 250's, so it'll mean less time between valve adjustments/ oil changes/catastrophic failures.

My personal suggestion is a 250 2-stroke. You can get a used one of cheap, they're cheap to maintain, don't have to worry about all that valve/cam mumbo-jumbo. Only downside is you'll likely get face cramps from excessive smiling.

If you get a non-motocross (like a yama wr) then maintenance won't be as bad. But a 2-stroke would do fine in the woods and you could hit the track whenever too.

p.s. I ride a 2-stroke and always will :D

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
If your going with a newer bike, any of the 450 4 strokes are nice. I have an older 250 2 stroke, and I honestly enjoy trailer riding the 450 4's more. KTM's are nice, but $$$.... I like the Honda's for all around use but yamaha's seem to handle a little nicer/lighter.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
id vote any bike made by honda. im not sure what these guys do over there, but my 2007 CBR600RR is the best built piece of machinery ive seen. everything honda does to their bikes is thought out and has a purpose. they are always the leader in inovation, and i wont ride anything else. Ive seen the suzuki and kawi's along with many others. nothing ever compares. its your choice though. a 250 would get you around just fine for a 4 stroke. hell, my 600 does 120 in first gear, i dont think you need that on a trail! lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals