• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear ABS got anything to do with A4LD transmission?

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
92' Ford Ranger XLT with 2.9 V6
Does the Rear Anti-Lock braking system module and sensor in the differential, have any bearing on the operation of the A4LD automatic transmission?
Or is that a entirely separate system?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
RABS is a separate system no connection, not even connected to the computer

In 1998-2000 Rangers Ford did high jack the rear axle ABS sensor to also use it as Speed Sensor via GEM module

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Ok. That's what I thought Ron. I just wanted to make sure. I read on some make/models, a faulty vehicle speed sensor could cause abnormal behavior with the transmission.
Does my 92' Ranger with 2.9 V6 even have a vehicle speed sensor...........and if so is it incorporated into the A4LD transmission?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Ok. Cool. My mechanical speedometer in the dashboard has been faulty for years. I could never get the speedo cable fully seated in the back of the speedometer. Would that cause a problem with the automatic transmission?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
In a 1992 no, unless the problem is at the transmission end, i.e. a bad gear on that combo unit in/on the transmission

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Ok. That makes sense. Thanks

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I've been reading everything I can about the A4LD. But you don't always find the answers.
I'm still troubleshooting this issue. Would a failing engine coolant temp sensor cause that delayed shift into 2nd gear with cool engine and cool morning? Does the 1992 2.9 V6 version of the A4LD have it's own built-in temperature sensor?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No

The A4LD only has 2 computer controls, TCC and 3/4 shift, and no internal sensors
So nothing from computer would cause what you describe

It's only connection to the engine, besides the crank shaft, lol, is the Vacuum Modulator
Check its hose for water or ATF

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Ok. And what you're saying is consistent with what I have been reading............only 2 EEC related controls for torque converter and gears 3 to 4 shift. The rest is hydraulic. It seemed like temperature was a key factor with this shifting symptom.

But if there is no temperature sensor screwed into the A4LD transmission...then it seems to me that something is delaying build up of fluid pressure. Yesterday, I did my first drive of the day when it was about 90 degrees, and it delayed in 1st gear again.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Welcome to the normal A4LD crap transmission world. Most likely a valve body issue, or some failing seals in the transmission itself, outside of a complete rebuild nothing you can really do to fix it either unfortunately....possibly some of the various snake oil fixes might help a while if its a failing seal, but it'll just buy you a little time before it fails completely.

The transmission itself is pretty rudimentary outside of the torque converter lockup and 3-4 shift controls.

I haven't had much luck with the A4LD myself, and not sure if many shops will even work on them anymore LOL.

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
It's getting worse now that it's at the point where it is reproducing the symptoms every day. As a matter of fact, I'm taking it back to the shop today where they will see it malfunction in person. They're going to have to tear it down and rebuild it. That's all there is to it, even if they have to use the better parts from the 4.0 V6 version.

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
The transmission shop owner took it for another test drive late Friday afternoon. Sure enough, it got stuck in 1st gear as usual. He agreed this needs to be fixed. And he is guessing faulty valve body or governor

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
The transmission repair shop is still having delayed shift problem after replacing the valve body.
I just called them and they are going to replace the governor now.

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Ok. They replaced the governor. I picked up my truck yesterday. The delayed shift into 2nd gear is fixed. But now it has no 4th gear overdrive.
I know there are several causes for this. Is there a simple road test I can do to rule out any problems with EEC (electronic engine control)?
Or is that not likely to be a cause? I know A4LD uses a 3rd to 4th gear shift solenoid also.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals