• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Re gearing front diff on a ttb 4wd setup.

Exenos

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Are different gear ratio's offered for the ttb style 4wd front diff? I Plan on doing a tdi swap into a 4wd and need 3.27 gears to get the rpm's down to a reasonable level for highway use. Does it use regular 8.8 or 7.5 gears or is there a special set for the front diff.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm not a guru but AFAIK there are two different front diffs for ttb. The d-28 and the d-35. the d-28 is in all rbv's from '83 thru '89 and beyond in certain vehicles with motors NOT 4.0l. The d-35 is in rbv's [all the 4.0l have them] from '90 on until ttb stopped being installed. There is a hybrid in the early '90's that uses a d-28 guts in a d-35 housing.

There is a tech section -"info technical" at the top of the page that should have more specific answers and there is also the TRS Magazine that can be helpful. Also use the search function, it seems the "google custom search" at the top right of the page returns better results.

Good luck,

Richard

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
You should have no problem finding a used 3.27 differential in a junkyard. It's a common ratio that came in a lot of trucks, and is not a very desirable ratio to most people, so junkyards probably have a surplus of them that they can't get rid of. Look at this page -->http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/dana_28_35.shtml to find out if you have a Dana 28 or Dana 35.

Exenos

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, that's just what I needed to know.
I don't have a truck for the swap yet, just in the process of gathering information. Planing on doing the swap next summer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals