• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger XL FX2

Ranger_XL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
I am contemplating whether to commit sacrilege (automatic transmission); I own two Ford trucks ('03 F-250 SD with 6.8 Triton V10/ZF6/4x4 and '96 Ranger with 2.3 Lima I4/M5OD/4x4), and the former has 123k miles (F-250) while the latter has 232k miles (Ranger). I am looking for an inexpensive truck to commute to work since my girlfriend (eventual wife) and I are saving for a new home, and I am seeking to moderate how much money I put into vehicles. With that said, I was wondering if anyone has experience with the XL-trim, FX2, super-cab Ranger? I very seldom use four-wheel drive, and the FX2 option is an inexpensive ($595) option that really sets the truck apart aesthetically -- lightning blue and saber orange look particularly attractive.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
If the 96 is in decent shape, you could really moderate how much money you spend by just getting it's motor/trans rebuilt and giving the rest of it a good once over, replacing what's necessary. Once done itll be ready for another 250k at least. I don't think the new trucks will last that long.

Big pros that way.. your insurance is cheaper, registration should be MUCH cheaper, you have less modern ford engineering stupidity to have to fix, and the money left over can be your down payment for the house.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Trying to save money for a new house, but want to buy a brand new truck? That don't make any sense at all. Keep what you have since hopefully by now they're both paid off. Do the regular maintenance on them and you'll save a fortune. I guess unless you love car payments, then go for it, and put the house on hold for another 6 years. I'd skip the "Fx2" crap, what's the point, its a 2WD truck, and if you are on a budget trying to save money why would you be adding unnecessary options there's nothing in that package that makes the truck better. You said its for a daily driver, so plain as can be would be far more economical....err rather buy a fuel efficient car that'll get double the fuel economy that the truck ever will. You already have 2 trucks, why would you want a 3rd one. You said you rarely use 4WD, so a car would be just fine for a daily commuter, if you get snow and need the 4WD drive your 4 cylinder Ranger....need to tow/haul drive your F250, but otherwise leave both of them sitting except on the weekend once or twice a month drive them around town a bit just to keep them lubricated and running properly....you'll save money in the long run buying a good used beater car for work. That locking rear diff would get you into more trouble in slippery conditions than its worth, and if you don't use 4WD now, you wouldn't need a locking diff either. Unless you are paying cash outright for a brand new truck, it makes no sense to go buy a 3rd truck as a daily driver. Keep what you have, and drive your current ranger as a daily driver or find a cheap beater car for work. Its to get you to and from work its not a showpiece, and if you have a long distance commute you'd be throwing a lot of miles on that brand new truck which would quickly make it less feasible for economic sense...a car is going to get close to if not more than double the fuel economy that the new Ranger will get.

Been there done that with the new vehicle idea...bit me in the ass...new car turned out to be more problematic than my 20+ year old Mazda B2600i 4x4 pickup with 319k on it. So I then had a car payment and the car sat in the dealership repair shop more than I got to drive it most of the time.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
I am contemplating whether to commit sacrilege (automatic transmission); I own two Ford trucks ('03 F-250 SD with 6.8 Triton V10/ZF6/4x4 and '96 Ranger with 2.3 Lima I4/M5OD/4x4), and the former has 123k miles (F-250) while the latter has 232k miles (Ranger). I am looking for an inexpensive truck to commute to work since my girlfriend (eventual wife) and I are saving for a new home, and I am seeking to moderate how much money I put into vehicles. With that said, I was wondering if anyone has experience with the XL-trim, FX2, super-cab Ranger? I very seldom use four-wheel drive, and the FX2 option is an inexpensive ($595) option that really sets the truck apart aesthetically -- lightning blue and saber orange look particularly attractive.
We have a 2019 Ranger XL SuperCab. Ours is an FX4. The 10 speed auto is pretty great. This from a guy that's driven manual transmission mid-sized trucks since 1985. I think you'll like the truck.

We live in the mountains and one of my concerns was loosing the ability to downshift the truck to allow motor braking. The 10 speed is designed to do that very thing. Set the cruise and it will automatically downshift to hold speed. Or downshift the truck yourself.

Don't get me wrong though... it's still not as good as a manual shift.... but it's a far cry better than a regular automatic transmission.

As to the 4x4 vs 2x4... I'd go with the 4x4. Not that much more money. Might as well drive the real thing, instead of a poser.

Good luck on your decision... got any more questions.. feel free to ask.

004.JPG

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
We have a 2019 Ranger XL SuperCab. Ours is an FX4. The 10 speed auto is pretty great. This from a guy that's driven manual transmission mid-sized trucks since 1985. I think you'll like the truck.

We live in the mountains and one of my concerns was loosing the ability to downshift the truck to allow motor braking. The 10 speed is designed to do that very thing. Set the cruise and it will automatically downshift to hold speed. Or downshift the truck yourself.

Don't get me wrong though... it's still not as good as a manual shift.... but it's a far cry better than a regular automatic transmission.

As to the 4x4 vs 2x4... I'd go with the 4x4. Not that much more money. Might as well drive the real thing, instead of a poser.

Good luck on your decision... got any more questions.. feel free to ask.

View attachment 43876
If you have your cruise control set and manually downshift does it cancel your cruise control? That's what it would do in my 2008 Toyota Tundra. Kind of hated that, if I was towing and started up a grade I'd manually shift down to 4th and as soon as you do that it cancels your cruise control....never had that in any other vehicle.

What's the bed length on your Ranger? I assume that's the extended cab that you've got? I've been tossing around the idea of getting a newer pickup in the next couple years but don't need the crew cab, but don't want a 5 foot or shorter bed either, it'll be hard to upgrade to a downgraded bed sized truck after my 87 Ranger's 7 foot bed HAHA!!! The 6 foot bed wouldn't be too bad as I haul building materials frequently but really have no need for a full size truck in the forseable future....yeah sure I'd love to drive around a new F250 4x4 with the 8 foot bed and the new Godzilla 7.3L V8 LOL but in reality that's why I sold my 2008 Toyota Tundra, I didn't need that much truck. Just have a lot of concerns about going to a 4 cylinder engine with turbos from all the horror stories on failures not just Ford of course but I don't want another issue like my Chevy Cobalt mess.

If I were buying a new truck I'd go 4x4 and skip the 4x2 offroad play stuff. For the cost difference you'll make up for it when you sell the truck in the future....the cost difference in fuel and in maintenance isn't large enough to make it a show stopper. I get by with my 87 Ranger 4x2 just fine but I have 2 4WD's in the driveway if the snow gets deep enough to need 4WD, but as slow as people are in town where I drive 4WD isn't really a show stopper anyhow most winters we hardly get snow, last winter I never used 4WD at all, and previous winter to that I used 4WD once...2016-2017's winter on the other hand I was in 4WD for a month as we had 2+ feet of that white stuff. The first time you get somewhere and need that 4WD traction it'll have paid for itself in not needing to call a tow truck or be stranded somewhere because of the lack of a front powered axle LOL I live in Idaho, we never know from year to year how our snow accumulation will be, so I'll take a 4WD when buying new.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
If you have your cruise control set and manually downshift does it cancel your cruise control? That's what it would do in my 2008 Toyota Tundra. Kind of hated that, if I was towing and started up a grade I'd manually shift down to 4th and as soon as you do that it cancels your cruise control....never had that in any other vehicle.

What's the bed length on your Ranger? I assume that's the extended cab that you've got? I've been tossing around the idea of getting a newer pickup in the next couple years but don't need the crew cab, but don't want a 5 foot or shorter bed either, it'll be hard to upgrade to a downgraded bed sized truck after my 87 Ranger's 7 foot bed HAHA!!! The 6 foot bed wouldn't be too bad as I haul building materials frequently but really have no need for a full size truck in the forseable future....yeah sure I'd love to drive around a new F250 4x4 with the 8 foot bed and the new Godzilla 7.3L V8 LOL but in reality that's why I sold my 2008 Toyota Tundra, I didn't need that much truck. Just have a lot of concerns about going to a 4 cylinder engine with turbos from all the horror stories on failures not just Ford of course but I don't want another issue like my Chevy Cobalt mess.

If I were buying a new truck I'd go 4x4 and skip the 4x2 offroad play stuff. For the cost difference you'll make up for it when you sell the truck in the future....the cost difference in fuel and in maintenance isn't large enough to make it a show stopper. I get by with my 87 Ranger 4x2 just fine but I have 2 4WD's in the driveway if the snow gets deep enough to need 4WD, but as slow as people are in town where I drive 4WD isn't really a show stopper anyhow most winters we hardly get snow, last winter I never used 4WD at all, and previous winter to that I used 4WD once...2016-2017's winter on the other hand I was in 4WD for a month as we had 2+ feet of that white stuff. The first time you get somewhere and need that 4WD traction it'll have paid for itself in not needing to call a tow truck or be stranded somewhere because of the lack of a front powered axle LOL I live in Idaho, we never know from year to year how our snow accumulation will be, so I'll take a 4WD when buying new.
If you hold out for 2023... you might be able to get your new Ranger with one of those Getrag manual transmissions.

You sure don't sound like the same guy that was doggin the new Bronco a few days ago.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
If you hold out for 2023... you might be able to get your new Ranger with one of those Getrag manual transmissions.

You sure don't sound like the same guy that was doggin the new Bronco a few days ago.
Same guy, just trying to find out the real truth behind all these new shenanigans the automakers are doing. That Getrag is a piece of shit, but you guys think you know everything so when the failures start don't come back here whining.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Same guy, just trying to find out the real truth behind all these new shenanigans the automakers are doing. That Getrag is a piece of shit, but you guys think you know everything so when the failures start don't come back here whining.
It's a brand new transmission... maybe we need to see what it's all about for we call it no good before the first vehicle is sold?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
It's a brand new transmission... maybe we need to see what it's all about for we call it no good before the first vehicle is sold?
Getrag's reputation isn't great, never was, so I'm going to guess a brand new Getrag isn't going to be any better LOL.

There's always hope though, fingers crossed that this one is good, rather at least better than the past. Any tech info on that transmission yet? Or has anything been officially put out as to what transmission it actually will be as far as a model number or anything? Like the A4LD was derived from the C3? Is this new 7 speed manual a derivative from something they've already got or a completely new build?

Sorry not trying to be an a**, but after spending $16k on a brand new car and having it spend most of 3 years in a repair shop for all sorts of issues, I wouldn't want to make that mistake again, so I wanna know all about these things before dumping money on something and getting stuck with a lawn ornament...I guess maybe this is why so many people lease vehicles rather than buy now, so they've got the warranty to back them all the time? I just hate the thought of a never ending car payment.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
If you have your cruise control set and manually downshift does it cancel your cruise control?
Edited 2020-06-19

No.

On the way into town today I learned you can set the cruise and then down shift or upshift (via the button on the side of the shifter) and the cruise stays on. You can even pull it back into "Sport" mode and the cruise stays set.. and then push it back up into "Drive" and the cruise still stays set.

It won't let you downshift such that you over rev the motor though.... and it won't let you upshift to the point that you "lug" the motor. But in neither case, IMO, does it not allow you to be in the range I want to be in.

But you don't have to manually downshift. The truck downshifts itself to maintain speed.

What's the bed length on your Ranger? I assume that's the extended cab that you've got?
Ford calls it a SuperCab. The inside length is 6ft.

Last edited:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Yes. But you don't need to manually downshift. The truck downshifts itself to maintain speed.

It's a SuperCab. The inside length is 6ft.
Thanks for your reply. I think I'm going to wait till they release the next gen Ranger and go take a peak at them. I was under the assumption the 6 foot bed was only on the regular cab models, so glad to hear you can get it on the supercab styles too, I may go that route in the next couple years, the supercab is kind of nice to be able to carry some tools and stuff like that around out of the weather and not take up bed space....no need for rear seats so it would just be a storage area for me.

The reason I downshifted my Tundra manually is it seemed to have quite a delay in the downshift pulling grades with a load even in tow/haul mode, then it would do so suddenly and usually wasn't just a gear or 2, it was more like 3-4 gears...not the greatest of programming LOL. Sounds to me like with the 10 speed it downshifts much better and not a huge sudden jolt which is really how it should be.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Getrag's reputation isn't great, never was, so I'm going to guess a brand new Getrag isn't going to be any better LOL.
Chevy’s reputation isn’t great... and yet you bought one of those.

No standard cab available on the 19+ trucks.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Chevy’s reputation isn’t great... and yet you bought one of those.

No standard cab available on the 19+ trucks.
Yeah made that mistake once LOL. Regretted that decision quite quickly. Have you ever had one of those oh that sounds like a good idea moments....yeah that was with that car LOL. I was working out of town at the time, saw the higher fuel economy sticker and thought hmm, what could go wrong for $16k....(hindsight)....A LOT!!! Made the boneheaded move and traded in my 1989 Mazda B2600i 4x4 pickup with 319k miles on it and the only thing wrong with it was it needed some rust repair on the passenger side fender in the bed, and the A/C didn't work.

I don't do new vehicles anymore so I'll be waiting a few years to pickup a used Ranger once they do the next redesign most likely....unless I fall into a new Bronco first LOL....IDK, most likely a pickup though and be able to take my 87 Ranger and do a complete repaint and go through everything front to back, wiring is somewhat hacked together from the PO's weird attempts at some odd repairs that don't make sense.

What's the cab called that isn't the supercab or crew cab? I thought there was one below the supercab like an access cab or something of that nature?

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals