• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger ATV liscense

midget

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6
Transmission
Manual
Soooo anyway I got to thinking and got a quick question... with all the rage about the sidexside atvs now I wonder what are the actuall rules on liscensing an atv. Why you might ask well I want to liscense my pickup as an ATV to be able to LEGALLY wheel at atv parks and not be gettin a ticket from the DNR wether they like it or not. In Iowa there are barely any ORV trails but about a dozen atv parks soo you follow what Im gettin at? What would I need to do the victim? I still have the title but it hasnt been transfered b/c it doesnt need insurance or plates to go down a trail and on/off a trailer.

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well, first of all, you should ALWAYS transfer the title when you get a vehicle. If you don't, you can't buy tabs and all that stuff. Not to mention, the previous owner can be held responsible for things that happen to the vehicle.

That being said, You cannot license a vehicle as an atv. And OHV/ ORV, yes, but not an ATV (they ARE different).

If you want to license it as an ORV, then if I'm not mistaken, all you have to do is go to the DMV and have them relicense it as an ORV, not a vehicle with plates etc. By doing this, you are probably aware that you cannot take it anywhere a quad or motorcycle would not be able to go (like the road, or forest service roads etc).
Licensing it as an ORV would not allow you to go down atv trails either. It would still be considered a vehicle, not a quad, therefore you would still be limited to 4wd trails. So they could still bust you for being on those atv/ quad trails.

I hope that helps a little. But I might have just read your post wrong, I don't know.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I know someone who did some research into it around here. Weight and size play a big part.

Dogboy is right, you cannot license a vehicle as an ATV.

BUT, you can use vehicle parts to build a custom buggie that could class as an ATV. IIRC it has to have a custom built frame though among other things. My buddy has thought of using like a 3 or 4 cyl motor for his project.

midget

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6
Transmission
Manual
yeah you guys understood what I was asking right. kinda a buzzkill though I wonder what the actuall laws are I have no problem cutting it up to loose some weight to pass.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
you cant cut off enough weight I dont think. An atv is purpose built "tiny" vehicle. It has most of the time an engine smaller than 1L. and lets not forghet the visual factor. No FWC worth his salt is gonna mistake your pickup no matter how chopped as an atv. ORV is the best way to go, and maybe get an old busted atv and build it up for those trails.

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
step 1- find a (rolled, blown motor, or otherwise mechanically destroyed) side-by-side atv

step 2- strip everything off your truck that doesn't make it capable of moving

step 3- give your frame a REALLY short wheelbase

see where i'm going here? :D

step 4- put side-by-side body (and the little strip of metal that includes id tag) on the ranger frame.

step 5- have fun in your butt-ugly Frankenstein creation

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
step 1- find a (rolled, blown motor, or otherwise mechanically destroyed) side-by-side atv

step 2- strip everything off your truck that doesn't make it capable of moving

step 3- give your frame a REALLY short wheelbase

see where i'm going here? :D

step 4- put side-by-side body (and the little strip of metal that includes id tag) on the ranger frame.

step 5- have fun in your butt-ugly Frankenstein creation
May want to check into a rollcage incase the RBV drivetrain happens to get on top of that little side by side body too...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals