• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger 302 swap drivetrain

myers94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys I'm new to this forum but I have a question, I am planning on doing a 302 swap in my 94 4.0 4x4 ext ranger and will try to get 400hp out of it so will I need to upgrade my drivetrain/rear end to something stockier if even possible or will it be fine and deal with those kind of numbers, also I am a little concerned about the 4x4 getting in the way when I drop it in. Any answers are helpful thx

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Swapping a 302 out of an Explorer is somewhat popular. The accessories and all on the front of the block are shortened to make them fit better in the RBV platform. Explorers and some Mustangs used the 8.8" rear axles like what is in your truck. Difference is the disk brakes and 31 spline.

Sent from my kite using a trebuchet

myers94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Ok that make sense maybe I am underestimating the capabilities of the system although even though both explorer and mustang use the 8.8, I am thinking about the shear strength of the joints as well going into the transfer case because that takes the brunt of the force coming out of the trans, I'm not planning on racing the 1/4 mile or anything with this just don't want it to fall apart when I have to step on the gas.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals