• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Radiator question - 1995

maxford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4cylinder
Transmission
Manual
My 95 is a 2.3L with 5spd. Replacing the radiator soon. I've read a lot on this site about optional radiators available from other Ford vehicles and the aftermarket. But is there anything available that is either plug-and-play, or dang close to that? I don't need a 100% improvement, but a 20% improvement would be great.

And, I'd love to keep my factory hoses and shroud.

thanks,
Max

telsar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
My 95 is a 2.3L with 5spd. Replacing the radiator soon. I've read a lot on this site about optional radiators available from other Ford vehicles and the aftermarket. But is there anything available that is either plug-and-play, or dang close to that? I don't need a 100% improvement, but a 20% improvement would be great.

And, I'd love to keep my factory hoses and shroud.

thanks,
Max
Got my last radiator from Ebay and it was exactly the same, but the unit was not painted so I think it works better than a coat of paint on the fins. Cost around $60 with free shipping.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
You can get a direct replacement for that engine and improvements are not usually needed unless you have problems with the original equipment. Are you having overheat issues like standing in traffic on hot days?

Before I go into a 400 word post on why everything should be checked, cleaned, or replaced it's probably more efficient if you state what is happening and what work you've already done.

That way others can follow and give proper suggestions instead of going down what paths you might take...

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
If you get one, and it is unpainted, it will transfer heat better if you leave it that way. If you insist on painting, don't use regular spray paint as it will inhibit heat transfer. Radiator shops(are there any ??) use special paint from what I read recently. I think it is a lot 'thinner' than normal rattle-can spray paint.
tom

maxford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4cylinder
Transmission
Manual
I am fine with a generic auto parts store replacement, but it would be nice for an upgrade.

And I won't go into a 400 word explanation detailing "why", rather I was just curious if there was swap option for a plug-n-chug upgrade.

I had hoped I could just have a parts guy look up an aftermarket "new" radiator to fit some other year/make/model/eng rather than the standard single core, but I assume that is not the case and will press ahead as i had planned. Thanks anyway.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
OK...well it's better to know if there's a problem because I'm guilty of explaining things before I know specifically what the problem is...

I've learned my lesson and trying to probe a bit before rattling on...:)

maxford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4cylinder
Transmission
Manual
no worries, thx anyway.:beer:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
And just as a heads up

When a vehicle gets to a certain age you will only find new Automatic trans Radiators, i.e. with trans cooler built-in.
It won't be listed that way but when you get it it WILL have a trans cooler.

This is because it can be used with manual or automatic, so only one model needs to be built and stocked.

Doesn't hurt anything, doesn't reduce cooling or capacity, you just have a couple of unused ports, if you have a manual trans

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals