• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

RaceRangers Build

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Will the 150 be all good to tow the Ranger and some spare parts?

RaceRanger97

April 2009 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Will the 150 be all good to tow the Ranger and some spare parts?
I hope so, i have asked every one i can that has a 2v 5.4 and they all say they tow well. I have towed my truck to pismo many times with the new 3v 5.4 and it did it just as easy as my dads V10 and got way better mileage. So hopefully a 97-03 will sufice.

84projectFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I hope so, i have asked every one i can that has a 2v 5.4 and they all say they tow well. I have towed my truck to pismo many times with the new 3v 5.4 and it did it just as easy as my dads V10 and got way better mileage. So hopefully a 97-03 will sufice.
i hate to say it race but with your ranger on the back, campin gear, and any toher quads/bikes that 2v 5.4 will be strugglin bad at any hill. it will get ya down the road ok if its flat but even then you will still be pushin her hard.

really try to find a manual trans one cause the autos dont like heavy loads for long drives. If you do get an auto, keep her out of OD if you load it down good

prerunin554

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it will tow you just fine, just don't expect to go 70 up a grade. My old one towed my buddy's x-cab ranger on a 4k lbs trailer with all camping gear/tools/riding gear/stuff needed for the trip, dirt bike and 3 full size guys. lowest speed up the grade (8 east from san diego to the desert) was about 45, only because it got windy.

i hate to say it race but with your ranger on the back, campin gear, and any toher quads/bikes that 2v 5.4 will be strugglin bad at any hill. it will get ya down the road ok if its flat but even then you will still be pushin her hard.
false.

Last edited:

swickwake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
we all know tha
Engine Size
4 Point Big O
Transmission
Automatic
you cant go wrong with a 97 f 350 powerstroke or dodge cummins.

RaceRanger97

April 2009 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
hmmmm these are the same conflicting answeres i got when i asked on DR. I just cant really afford a diesel nor do i want one as a dd. I think it is my best bet??

prerunin554

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A diesel would be the best bet, but you need to have the funds to repair it and the parts are more expensive (powerstrokes). Also, keep in mind: all 98+ diesel trucks are now going to be smogged, so if you find one that you like and has any mods done to the engine, it could be a very expensive investment. You could always get f150 now and sell it later on when you decide you need to pull more weight.

84projectFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
wanna explain? I work on these trucks all day and have had first had experience with them trying to tow up 6% grades with OD on. Those auto trannys dont last long hauling over 5k up long grades. never siad it wouldnt haul anything heavy on a flat road :rolleyes:

A diesel would be the best bet, but you need to have the funds to repair it and the parts are more expensive (powerstrokes). Also, keep in mind: all 98+ diesel trucks are now going to be smogged, so if you find one that you like and has any mods done to the engine, it could be a very expensive investment. You could always get f150 now and sell it later on when you decide you need to pull more weight.

I beg to differ. Running a 7.3 will run forever and parts are not more expensive. All the normal wear and tear items cost just as much as a gasser and even the diesel parts (should a problem arrise) are not much more than any gasser stuff. people get the idea that diesel are more expensive from what they hear other guys spend at a dealer to fix it. In reality a diesel is jsut as easy to fox as a gasser. i fix them all the time. hell ive gone inside and out on my dmax. Its just a matter of learing about them. These motors will out last the body of the truck and have very few problems. they are not the most powerful but will out pull the 2v 5.4 anyday. the trannys in those are a weak too if you put a chip and what not on them but stock they last. Stay away from a 6.0 as they have headgaasket issues and EGR cooler issues unless you find one that has all the upgraded stuff. I bet you could find a pre 97 7.3 easliy and as cheap as a 5.4.

Last edited:

prerunin554

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
wanna explain? I work on these trucks all day and have had first had experience with them trying to tow up 6% grades with OD on. Those auto trannys dont last long hauling over 5k up long grades. never siad it wouldnt haul anything heavy on a flat road :rolleyes:
The last truck I owned was a 2002 Ford F150, extra-cab 2x4. 5.4L triton with the 5r70w transmission. Like I stated, they will tow just fine, but he should not be expecting to get there fast. The point you make about OD is EXTREMELY important and true. I should have deleted that part from the quoted text, sorry about that. [edit: just removed it from quoted text]

I beg to differ. Running a 7.3 will run forever and parts are not more expensive. All the normal wear and tear items cost just as much as a gasser and even the diesel parts (should a problem arrise) are not much more than any gasser stuff. people get the idea that diesel are more expensive from what they hear other guys spend at a dealer to fix it. In reality a diesel is jsut as easy to fox as a gasser. i fix them all the time. hell ive gone inside and out on my dmax. Its just a matter of learing about them. These motors will out last the body of the truck and have very few problems. they are not the most powerful but will out pull the 2v 5.4 anyday. the trannys in those are a weak too if you put a chip and what not on them but stock they last. Stay away from a 6.0 as they have headgaasket issues and EGR cooler issues unless you find one that has all the upgraded stuff. I bet you could find a pre 97 7.3 easliy and as cheap as a 5.4.
Have you priced out a set of injectors for a 7.3?
Have you priced out a high pressure oil pump?
Have you priced out a turbocharger?
Have you priced out an IDM?
Have you priced out a complete engine? ($12k BTW)

Yes, I worked on diesels and the triton engines when I worked at the dealership. The diesels will last a long time if they are properly taken care of, as will the gasoline engine. The parts listed above are the most common things I worked on while I was in the shop, and by no means were any of those repairs inexpensive. Normal wear and tear items are near the same ammount as a gasoline vehicle, but still, in the long run (with the idea of keeping this vehicle for quite some time) the diesel will cost more.

If you do end up getting a powerstroke, make sure you stay away from any truck that has/has had an oiled aftermarket air filter put on/dropped in the filter box. Those things kept me extremely busy replacing dusted engines at the customers cost-

84projectFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The last truck I owned was a 2002 Ford F150, extra-cab 2x4. 5.4L triton with the 5r70w transmission. Like I stated, they will tow just fine, but he should not be expecting to get there fast. The point you make about OD is EXTREMELY important and true. I should have deleted that part from the quoted text, sorry about that. [edit: just removed it from quoted text]

:icon_thumby::D

Have you priced out a set of injectors for a 7.3?
Have you priced out a high pressure oil pump?
Have you priced out a turbocharger?
Have you priced out an IDM?
Have you priced out a complete engine? ($12k BTW)

Yes, I worked on diesels and the triton engines when I worked at the dealership. The diesels will last a long time if they are properly taken care of, as will the gasoline engine. The parts listed above are the most common things I worked on while I was in the shop, and by no means were any of those repairs inexpensive. Normal wear and tear items are near the same ammount as a gasoline vehicle, but still, in the long run (with the idea of keeping this vehicle for quite some time) the diesel will cost more.

If you do end up getting a powerstroke, make sure you stay away from any truck that has/has had an oiled aftermarket air filter put on/dropped in the filter box. Those things kept me extremely busy replacing dusted engines at the customers cost-
Yes ive priced all that stuff out. But when and how often on different vehicles have you seen injectors constantly go out? or the HPOP go out? and all the other stuff you quoted? Obviously on high milage 7.3, yes those things will become an issue down the road but for trucks in the 150K - 250K that stuff is a rareity to do. its like sayin replacing the oil pump in a 5.4 is common.......................................after 200k. The biggest thing i have seen with the 7.3s are the vavle cover gaskets. Maybe injectors after that but thats even rare.

Now i dont have a ton of money to be puttin into my diesel to be fixin it as things can get costly but these trucks last much longer in the long run. I have 150k on mine with a lift and have only replaced the injectors (LB7 duramaxs are known for eatin those up) and she still put down 450 hp and 950 tq and i plan to keep it forever. As much as you replace spark plugs or stripped plugs, fuel pumps, injectors, and eventually a motor in a gasser, you could have your diesel thats still runnin very good and maybe had a bad injector valve cover harness for the same milage.

its just the way i see it i guess. differences of opinion :D:icon_cheers:

prerunin554

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You had me worried for a second there. I thought you were replacing the valve cover gaskets for an oil leak. Also, with that said, you dont have to replace those gaskets unless they catch fire/melt. There is a TSB out to use retainer clips, just a little FYI. Dont get me wrong, I would perfer a diesel for towing, but its not always practicle. The average mileage on a used 7.3 would be in the 100-200k range now, and that is when some of the parts I quoted go out, but then again...it all comes down to how the original owner maintained the vehicle.

I am done highjacking this thread :)

84projectFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You had me worried for a second there. I thought you were replacing the valve cover gaskets for an oil leak. Also, with that said, you dont have to replace those gaskets unless they catch fire/melt. There is a TSB out to use retainer clips, just a little FYI. Dont get me wrong, I would perfer a diesel for towing, but its not always practicle. The average mileage on a used 7.3 would be in the 100-200k range now, and that is when some of the parts I quoted go out, but then again...it all comes down to how the original owner maintained the vehicle.

I am done highjacking this thread :)
completely agree.

Race, we will let you have your thread back :icon_thumby: :beer:

mazda96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
hi raceranger I've been looking to your build for a long time and I really like your truck. I'd like to know what consisted the 5.5 kit you first put on.

thanks

Ranger#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
springs , coilbuckets with a eyelet shock tower , extended r/a's , and some decient 2.5 x 10-12" stroke shocks

gjm4l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
Just kind of a curiosity question that may help out raceranger97. Over here on the east coast dealerships tend to order trucks with steeper gears in the mountains such as 3.55's or 3.73's to compensate for the constant uphill driving whereas the flatland dearlerships out towards the middle/east of the state would have more trucks on the lot with 3.08's and such to keep mileage up because a typical buyer doesn't need the torque multiplication on a flat, straight road. Do they do out west too? My old man used to drive a 99' f-150 with 3.73's and it did awesome towing anything within 1/2 ton limits and did just fine towing a few loads beyond that. He traded it for a new 03' and got it from the flatlands for a killer deal but he didn't realize it came with 3.08's and it was a DOG. So towing happiness could be a simple gear swap away!

PS: Ha here's an embarassing story- I'm following his 99' pulling our 22ft pontoon up the mountain from the lake I'm following in my 98' 150 with 4.6 and 3.55's towing our seadoo. I pull out and drop the hammer to make a pass cause he's driving too slow for my then 16 year old ego, He proceeds to do the same and literally leaves me in the dust..... I miss that 99'

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals